Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-01-2005, 04:22 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

HOB Skimmer questions

Hi there,

I'm newbie from Hong Kong and would like to ask few questions about HOB skimmer. Actually I am running a reef tank with 150L water with 7 2" fishes and I'm looking for a skimmer can operate with high performace. Furthermore, I just wondering which HOB skimmer should I pick, either Deltec MCE600 or Aqua C Remora Pro. Please advice if you pros have a better one. Thx a lot

Old 11-01-2005, 06:30 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to greenmaji
There are alot of options if you have the budget.. Turboflotor multi, Life Reef
a good skimmer thats not very expensive.. and I think its made over in your neck of the woods.. Coralife Super Skimmer

Old 11-01-2005, 11:10 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to RocketSeason
Yeah I hear the Coralife Super SKimmer is awsome. The Remora Pro is a good choice as well. I have a Bak Pak 2R that works well for me, but will most likely be way to small for your needs.
Hardware: 37 gallon SW tank and stand by Oceanic Systems, Magnum 350 Pro Canister Filter (half carbon), CPR Bak Pak 2R skimmer, Maxijet 1200 Powerhead, RenaCal 150 W heater, Compact fluorescent lights with moonlights. 40 lbs of liverock, 3" sand bed.

Software:2 Tank-Raised Ocellaris Clowns, 1 Purple Firefish, 1 Electric Orange hermit crab, 18 Blue Legged hermit crabs, 8 or so Nassarius snails, Xenia, Blue, green, and Green Striped Mushrooms.

Click here to vote for AquariumAdvice.com: The friendliest, fishiest place on the net!

Central Illinois Marane Aquarist (CIMA) member.
RocketSeason is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2005, 03:38 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice FINatic

I have a CPR Bak Pak Reef Ready unit that works very very well and stays in tune quite well also. The only complaint I have is the unit is loud. If you have a fish room that is fine but in a room where family members gather it is annoying!
Old 11-01-2005, 09:02 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

the remora works well also but it is very loud. mine causes alot of bubbles too. im using the overflow box and its hard to keep adjusted.
Old 11-01-2005, 10:11 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice Newbie

ok thx a lot for the advice , and nice people you have here , so is anyone heard of the Deltec one? is it good in performance?
Old 11-03-2005, 09:16 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

I have a Deltec MCE600. It is very good. Is amazing how much dirt it skims. The only problem is early models had a bad batch of rubber bushes for the pump. The bush would worn in about 3 months time and the pump will become very noisy. Deltec has since modified the bushes and is okay now. I would also buy a couple spare bushes just in case. I have seen the MCE600 on sales in Hong Kong before and the prices is very similar to the UK.
Old 11-04-2005, 05:18 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to greenmaji
Deltec is the Ferrari of the aquarium products world good performance yet overpriced and over-engineered IMHO..

Tags
hob, skimmer

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com