HOB Skimmer - Reef Octopus BH-100F opinions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dmolavi

Aquarium Advice Addict
For my 20G build, I'm looking for a HOB skimmer that will get the job done without breaking the bank. The RO BH-100F seems to fit the bill, and it appears to have an extra chamber for me to drop in some Purigen pouches. Has anyone used this model (or any other BH-100 family) from RO? I like this one not only because of the extra chamber, but because the bulk of the unit, pump included, is external to the tank.

Most online reviews have been favorable, but I haven't seen many recent ones.

Hi!
I set my BH 100 up yesterday. Set up took 15-20 mins. I don't have micro bubbles and it seems due to defoaming device that comes with the skimmer. Bubbles seem to be trapped in there instead of being released into tank.

It's not loud. I can hear a slight vibrating sound from the pump. My understanding it will quiet down as the skimmer settles in. Overall good value for your money.
I got mine from fragtasticreef. They didn't have one in stock when I ordered it so I had to wait for a week or so. Once they got it shipping was fast.
I spent a lot of time researching skimmers. Most people recommended HOB instead of internal skimmers like Tunze or Hydor Slim Skim.
A lot of people say that Aqua C Remora is really loud and Aquamaxx is $200...way more than BH100. My understand both have similar performance. Hope this helps.

image-2742295233.jpg

image-4215707421.jpg

6 months later...how's the skimmer working for you, and what pump was included (OTP or Aquatrance)?

I'm debating whether my next big purchase should be a skimmer or the Tunze ATO.

6 months later...how's the skimmer working for you, and what pump was included (OTP or Aquatrance)?

I'm debating whether my next big purchase should be a skimmer or the Tunze ATO.

It's working really well on my 40 breeder. Skimming like a champ. The skimmer came with Aquatrance pump. If I had to do it again the only thing I would do differently is get a Reef Octopus HOB skimmer with an external pump. BH90 has an external pump.
If I were you I would invest in an RO/DI unit instead because it eliminates the need and dependency of going to the fish store for water. It also gives you more control over salinity, PH and trace elements you want to have in your aquarium.

I already have an RO/DI unit, the ATO is so I don't have to lug jugs every couple of days to the tank :)

I thought the pump on the 100F was external (to the tank). Are you talking about external to the skimmer itself? The BH-90 was my other contender, but I like the option of dropping my Purigen in the body of the 100F and getting rid of the HOB filter that I use just for Purigen.

Yeah outside the tank. I am planning another upgrade in 10 months and will go with a sump. Otherwise I would order the BH90 today because I am tired of looking at the giant pump sitting inside my aquarium. Heck I might order it anyway because 10 months of eyesore does not sound like fun.

Thanks for the info. I thought the pump for the 100F was outside the tank. Knowing that it isn't, I'll go with the 90 instead. (My tank is only 20 gallons, so I don't need a gonzo huge skimmer anyway).

Thanks for the info. I thought the pump for the 100F was outside the tank. Knowing that it isn't, I'll go with the 90 instead. (My tank is only 20 gallons, so I don't need a gonzo huge skimmer anyway).

Mine is BH100. 100F has a slightly different design and it's pump might be sitting inside the skimmer itself rather than attached to plumbing inside the aquarium. Nevertheless, the cone shaped BH90 is more eye pleasing to me than the square BH100 or BH100F.

Brain fart, sorry...I forgot you had the 100.

I'll have to do some more research on this...I'm still on the fence as to which one to buy.

Have you thought about getting a Hydor Slim Skim Nano or Eshopps Nano with Sicce pump? BH100 series could be an overkill for a 20 gallon tank. I would call the manufacturer or a reputable retailer to see if Reef Octopus is worth the money. If you go with either of the nano skimmers mentioned above you will definitely save $50-$60 which will enable you to get an ATO system in addition to the skimmer. Only issue with those nano skimmers is that they are internal and if you don't have an overflow you will have the same issue I have with my pump inside the aquarium.

Ooh, I like the Eshopps PSK-75H. And the LFS near me has it for $130. w00t.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom