Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-11-2013, 11:00 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

20 gallon

Old 12-11-2013, 11:11 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

If your budget allows it, go for the 2215. It nice to have that extra filtration, especially if it's not too much extra. It gives you more options for future upgrades....

Old 12-12-2013, 09:09 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

you can get crystal clear water with a HOB

A canister filter seems both impractical and unnecessary in your situation. You can get crystal clear polished water that makes the fish look like they are floating in air with an HOB. It's all in the media. You could also save a few bucks getting either an aquaclear 50 or a fluval C3 and a fluval edge pre-filter sponge.

Go here:

I want me water even cleaner, any suggestion. Pictures inside!

and see my posts 24 & 40 well as other posts in that thread. Good luck to you.
Old 12-12-2013, 05:32 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul1792 View Post
A canister filter seems both impractical and unnecessary in your situation. You can get crystal clear polished water that makes the fish look like they are floating in air with an HOB. It's all in the media. You could also save a few bucks getting either an aquaclear 50 or a fluval C3 and a fluval edge pre-filter sponge.

Go here:

I want me water even cleaner, any suggestion. Pictures inside!

and see my posts 24 & 40 well as other posts in that thread. Good luck to you.
I agree. For a 20 gallon, a canister filter is unnecessary. If you do get one, get an Eheim 2213. Still, totally unnecessary. I'd suggest running an Aquaclear 70 with the flow turned down to minimum on a 20G tank.

Run a pair of foam blocks and a bag of biomedia. Cut a poly filter sheet to fit the filter and put it between the foam and the biomedia and it'll polish your water. Use a prefilter sponge on the intake. It's all you need.

Canisters don't really become necessary or practical until you get into the 50 gallon ballpark.

Having said all that, do you really need to change anything? No. It looks like you have a decent sized HOB and a hydrosponge filter both running in there. You don't appear to have a terribly high bio-load. Why change anything?

BTW if you want your snail to have a perfect shell and explosive growth rate, feed it this

http://www.tetra-fish.com/Products/a...d-tablets.aspx

It's skim milk based. Best thing you could ever feed your snails. They need a lot of food. Give it a balanced diet with algae wafers, some frozen food, and this stuff.
Old 12-12-2013, 10:34 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistersprinkles View Post
I agree. For a 20 gallon, a canister filter is unnecessary. If you do get one, get an Eheim 2213. Still, totally unnecessary. I'd suggest running an Aquaclear 70 with the flow turned down to minimum on a 20G tank.

Run a pair of foam blocks and a bag of biomedia. Cut a poly filter sheet to fit the filter and put it between the foam and the biomedia and it'll polish your water. Use a prefilter sponge on the intake. It's all you need.

Canisters don't really become necessary or practical until you get into the 50 gallon ballpark.
having said all that, do you really need to change anything? No. It looks like you have a decent sized HOB and a hydrosponge filter both running in there. You don't appear to have a terribly high bio-load. Why change anything?

BTW if you want your snail to have a perfect shell and explosive growth rate, feed it this

TetraMin Tropical Sinking Fish Food Tablets | Tetra Aquarium

It's skim milk based. Best thing you could ever feed your snails. They need a lot of food. Give it a balanced diet with algae wafers, some frozen food, and this stuff.
Agree except for one thing. Polished water generally only comes from polishing pads .......... and Purigen.

His water looks clear ............ but not crystal clear and polished.
Old 12-12-2013, 11:30 PM   #16

Quote:
Agree except for one thing. Polished water generally only comes from polishing pads .......... and Purigen.

His water looks clear ............ but not crystal clear and polished.
Polishing pads are made from poly fiber. That's exactly what I suggested.
Old 12-13-2013, 08:19 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Polishing pads are made from poly fiber. That's exactly what I suggested.
Sorry !!!!
OK - just for clarity sake,
I use AquaticLife Non-Woven Filter Pad 100 Micron

Amazon.com: Aquatic Life Media Non-Woven White Pad for Aquarium Filter, 100-Micron: Pet Supplies

I buy it at Petland ........ about the only aquarium product they seem to carry that is not way over-priced compared to Amazon.

[Note: the first time you use it ...... it might clog in one day !!!!! And it cannot be reused because the debris it collects is so fine it becomes embedded the media. The good news: It's cheap. I have a Fluval C3 on my 29 gallon which has that little "red button" that tells when the polishing pad needs to be replaced due to restricted water flow. My 29 gallon tank is 93% stocked according to aquadvisor.com and it the "red warning button" pops up roughly every two or three weeks.]

The blue bonded stuff from Drs forter & Smith also works as a polishing pad when combined with floss as does the standard filter replacement pad on Fluval C series. It's kind of interesting that Fluval does not provide polishing pad now that they bought out AquaClear. I guess they want to keep selling carbon !!!!!

Aquarium Filter Media: Drs Foster and Smith Blue Bonded Filter Pad
Old 12-13-2013, 11:31 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Sorry !!!!
OK - just for clarity sake,
I use AquaticLife Non-Woven Filter Pad 100 Micron

Amazon.com: Aquatic Life Media Non-Woven White Pad for Aquarium Filter, 100-Micron: Pet Supplies

I buy it at Petland ........ about the only aquarium product they seem to carry that is not way over-priced compared to Amazon.

[Note: the first time you use it ...... it might clog in one day !!!!! And it cannot be reused because the debris it collects is so fine it becomes embedded the media. The good news: It's cheap. I have a Fluval C3 on my 29 gallon which has that little "red button" that tells when the polishing pad needs to be replaced due to restricted water flow. My 29 gallon tank is 93% stocked according to aquadvisor.com and it the "red warning button" pops up roughly every three weeks.]

The blue bonded stuff from Drs forter & Smith also works as a polishing pad when combined with floss as does the standard filter replacement pad on Fluval C series. It's kind of interesting that Fluval does not provide polishing pad now that they bought out AquaClear. I guess they want to keep selling carbon !!!!!

Aquarium Filter Media: Drs Foster and Smith Blue Bonded Filter Pad
Cheap own brand walmart bed pillows will do the same thing, cheaper again. Just make sure there's no additives. 100% polyfill.....
Old 12-13-2013, 12:44 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian086 View Post
Cheap own brand walmart bed pillows will do the same thing, cheaper again. Just make sure there's no additives. 100% polyfill.....
why risk it? Polyfill is cheap enough as it is. You can get a big bag of filter floss for $2. And it'll last you a year.
Old 12-13-2013, 12:49 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
why risk it? Polyfill is cheap enough as it is. You can get a big bag of filter floss for $2. And it'll last you a year.
Risk what. It's the same stuff!!

Tags
canister, canister filter, filter, hob, question, questions

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com