Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 12-10-2013, 11:20 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

HOB to Canister filter questions

I'm looking to upgrade my budget HOB filter to a decent canister filter. I also have a supplemental ATI H1 sponge filter for my snails and pleco to suck on.

My tank is on a 5' long dresser, so I would like to install the filter in one of the drawers like my air pump and power strip are, then run the in & out lines up the back into the tank. I suppose "canister filter" is the correct term for what I am thinking of. Interested in this setup to free up some real estate in my tank, cut the noise down from mild to zero (since it's inside dresser), and make a cleaner look. Increase in filtration would be a bonus

Any recommendations on brand/model? Don't need the best thing out there, but also don't want crap. Only "messy" fish is my 5" Pleco and my Molly pair

Old 12-10-2013, 11:26 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

You won't go too far wrong with a fluval, the 06 series. Good value, great filter and part/spares are readily available. You will need a fairly deep drawer for a canister though....

Old 12-10-2013, 11:32 PM   #3

I don't know if there's a drawer deep enough for a canister filter. Except for maybe a really squat one like a Rena XP1 or a fluval 206.

I personally recommend Eheim Classic canister filters. If it's the only power filter on the tank, I would suggest a 2213 up to 25 gallons, a 2215 up to 45 and a 2217 up to about 65. Keep your sponge filter running though. The 22XX series give the biggest volume of biological filtration vs total canister volume that you can find. It's a very simple, straightforward filter. I've bought 3 and I'd buy another.
Old 12-10-2013, 11:51 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks for the info so far. Vertical room totally slipped my mind and yes, the drawers are a squat 5" high. I don't know how pleased the misses would be about "drawer modification" either, lol!

I suppose it could also sit on the floor behind the dresser, as it is not butted flush to the wall. I assume the canisters are much quieter compared to HOB's either way, considering they are closed units and won't be splashing?
Old 12-10-2013, 11:57 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baddog671 View Post
Thanks for the info so far. Vertical room totally slipped my mind and yes, the drawers are a squat 5" high. I don't know how pleased the misses would be about "drawer modification" either, lol!

I suppose it could also sit on the floor behind the dresser, as it is not butted flush to the wall. I assume the canisters are much quieter compared to HOB's either way, considering they are closed units and won't be splashing?
Can you post a picture of the drawer and where you plan on putting the filter. Some drawers have a thin piece of wood in the drawer, this could be removed and easily replaced in the future but the filter still needs room to be able to remove it for cleaning.....
Old 12-11-2013, 12:19 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

I will post a picture or 2 tomorrow once I get off work. Off to bed with me!
Old 12-11-2013, 12:26 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baddog671 View Post
I will post a picture or 2 tomorrow once I get off work. Off to bed with me!
Yeah it's that time for me too. 4.30am!!
Old 12-11-2013, 05:27 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Freak

There's no way you can fit a canister that's under 5" the hoses/connectors alone need about that much space
Old 12-11-2013, 10:20 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistersprinkles View Post
I personally recommend Eheim Classic canister filters. If it's the only power filter on the tank, I would suggest a 2213 up to 25 gallons, a 2215 up to 45 and a 2217 up to about 65. Keep your sponge filter running though. The 22XX series give the biggest volume of biological filtration vs total canister volume that you can find. It's a very simple, straightforward filter. I've bought 3 and I'd buy another.
I'm definitely considering one of the Eheim classics. Your numbers are a little off according to their site. 2211= 40g, 2213 = 66g, 2215 = 92g, 2217 = 159g. Either way, these are much bigger numbers than my tank, lol. I found a 2213 for $75.25 shipped, so I may have to think about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian086 View Post
Can you post a picture of the drawer and where you plan on putting the filter. Some drawers have a thin piece of wood in the drawer, this could be removed and easily replaced in the future but the filter still needs room to be able to remove it for cleaning.....
Ah, I investigated the bottom of the drawer and alas, they actually built this one good! Screwed, glued, and even the pieces go together like a jigsaw. My gf's father might of made this one, he's made a few pieces of our furniture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravereaper0 View Post
There's no way you can fit a canister that's under 5" the hoses/connectors alone need about that much space
I've never used or even seen a canister filter. That's why I'm asking...
Old 12-11-2013, 10:24 PM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

What size tank do you have??

Tags
canister, canister filter, filter, hob, question, questions

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com