HOB to Canister filter questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Baddog671

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm looking to upgrade my budget HOB filter to a decent canister filter. I also have a supplemental ATI H1 sponge filter for my snails and pleco to suck on.

My tank is on a 5' long dresser, so I would like to install the filter in one of the drawers like my air pump and power strip are, then run the in & out lines up the back into the tank. I suppose "canister filter" is the correct term for what I am thinking of. Interested in this setup to free up some real estate in my tank, cut the noise down from mild to zero (since it's inside dresser), and make a cleaner look. Increase in filtration would be a bonus :)

Any recommendations on brand/model? Don't need the best thing out there, but also don't want crap. Only "messy" fish is my 5" Pleco and my Molly pair

You won't go too far wrong with a fluval, the 06 series. Good value, great filter and part/spares are readily available. You will need a fairly deep drawer for a canister though....

I don't know if there's a drawer deep enough for a canister filter. Except for maybe a really squat one like a Rena XP1 or a fluval 206.

I personally recommend Eheim Classic canister filters. If it's the only power filter on the tank, I would suggest a 2213 up to 25 gallons, a 2215 up to 45 and a 2217 up to about 65. Keep your sponge filter running though. The 22XX series give the biggest volume of biological filtration vs total canister volume that you can find. It's a very simple, straightforward filter. I've bought 3 and I'd buy another.

Thanks for the info so far. Vertical room totally slipped my mind and yes, the drawers are a squat 5" high. I don't know how pleased the misses would be about "drawer modification" either, lol!

I suppose it could also sit on the floor behind the dresser, as it is not butted flush to the wall. I assume the canisters are much quieter compared to HOB's either way, considering they are closed units and won't be splashing?

Thanks for the info so far. Vertical room totally slipped my mind and yes, the drawers are a squat 5" high. I don't know how pleased the misses would be about "drawer modification" either, lol!

I suppose it could also sit on the floor behind the dresser, as it is not butted flush to the wall. I assume the canisters are much quieter compared to HOB's either way, considering they are closed units and won't be splashing?
Can you post a picture of the drawer and where you plan on putting the filter. Some drawers have a thin piece of wood in the drawer, this could be removed and easily replaced in the future but the filter still needs room to be able to remove it for cleaning.....

I will post a picture or 2 tomorrow once I get off work. Off to bed with me!

There's no way you can fit a canister that's under 5" the hoses/connectors alone need about that much space

I personally recommend Eheim Classic canister filters. If it's the only power filter on the tank, I would suggest a 2213 up to 25 gallons, a 2215 up to 45 and a 2217 up to about 65. Keep your sponge filter running though. The 22XX series give the biggest volume of biological filtration vs total canister volume that you can find. It's a very simple, straightforward filter. I've bought 3 and I'd buy another.
I'm definitely considering one of the Eheim classics. Your numbers are a little off according to their site. 2211= 40g, 2213 = 66g, 2215 = 92g, 2217 = 159g. Either way, these are much bigger numbers than my tank, lol. I found a 2213 for $75.25 shipped, so I may have to think about that.

Can you post a picture of the drawer and where you plan on putting the filter. Some drawers have a thin piece of wood in the drawer, this could be removed and easily replaced in the future but the filter still needs room to be able to remove it for cleaning.....
Ah, I investigated the bottom of the drawer and alas, they actually built this one good! Screwed, glued, and even the pieces go together like a jigsaw. My gf's father might of made this one, he's made a few pieces of our furniture.

There's no way you can fit a canister that's under 5" the hoses/connectors alone need about that much space

I've never used or even seen a canister filter. That's why I'm asking...

20 gallon
img_2750770_0_80f598afa8e269aa1b73f71077dddb4f.jpg

If your budget allows it, go for the 2215. It nice to have that extra filtration, especially if it's not too much extra. It gives you more options for future upgrades....

you can get crystal clear water with a HOB

A canister filter seems both impractical and unnecessary in your situation. You can get crystal clear polished water that makes the fish look like they are floating in air with an HOB. It's all in the media. You could also save a few bucks getting either an aquaclear 50 or a fluval C3 and a fluval edge pre-filter sponge.

Go here:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...-any-suggestion-pictures-inside-286420-4.html

and see my posts 24 & 40 well as other posts in that thread. Good luck to you.

A canister filter seems both impractical and unnecessary in your situation. You can get crystal clear polished water that makes the fish look like they are floating in air with an HOB. It's all in the media. You could also save a few bucks getting either an aquaclear 50 or a fluval C3 and a fluval edge pre-filter sponge.

Go here:

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...-any-suggestion-pictures-inside-286420-4.html

and see my posts 24 & 40 well as other posts in that thread. Good luck to you.

I agree. For a 20 gallon, a canister filter is unnecessary. If you do get one, get an Eheim 2213. Still, totally unnecessary. I'd suggest running an Aquaclear 70 with the flow turned down to minimum on a 20G tank.

Run a pair of foam blocks and a bag of biomedia. Cut a poly filter sheet to fit the filter and put it between the foam and the biomedia and it'll polish your water. Use a prefilter sponge on the intake. It's all you need.

Canisters don't really become necessary or practical until you get into the 50 gallon ballpark.

Having said all that, do you really need to change anything? No. It looks like you have a decent sized HOB and a hydrosponge filter both running in there. You don't appear to have a terribly high bio-load. Why change anything?

BTW if you want your snail to have a perfect shell and explosive growth rate, feed it this

http://www.tetra-fish.com/Products/...ramin-tropical-sinking-fish-food-tablets.aspx

It's skim milk based. Best thing you could ever feed your snails. They need a lot of food. Give it a balanced diet with algae wafers, some frozen food, and this stuff.

I agree. For a 20 gallon, a canister filter is unnecessary. If you do get one, get an Eheim 2213. Still, totally unnecessary. I'd suggest running an Aquaclear 70 with the flow turned down to minimum on a 20G tank.

Run a pair of foam blocks and a bag of biomedia. Cut a poly filter sheet to fit the filter and put it between the foam and the biomedia and it'll polish your water. Use a prefilter sponge on the intake. It's all you need.

Canisters don't really become necessary or practical until you get into the 50 gallon ballpark.
having said all that, do you really need to change anything? No. It looks like you have a decent sized HOB and a hydrosponge filter both running in there. You don't appear to have a terribly high bio-load. Why change anything?

BTW if you want your snail to have a perfect shell and explosive growth rate, feed it this

TetraMin Tropical Sinking Fish Food Tablets | Tetra Aquarium

It's skim milk based. Best thing you could ever feed your snails. They need a lot of food. Give it a balanced diet with algae wafers, some frozen food, and this stuff.

Agree except for one thing. Polished water generally only comes from polishing pads .......... and Purigen.

His water looks clear ............ but not crystal clear and polished.

Polishing pads are made from poly fiber. That's exactly what I suggested. :cool:
Sorry !!!!
OK - just for clarity sake,
I use AquaticLife Non-Woven Filter Pad 100 Micron

Amazon.com: Aquatic Life Media Non-Woven White Pad for Aquarium Filter, 100-Micron: Pet Supplies

I buy it at Petland ........ about the only aquarium product they seem to carry that is not way over-priced compared to Amazon.

[Note: the first time you use it ...... it might clog in one day !!!!! And it cannot be reused because the debris it collects is so fine it becomes embedded the media. The good news: It's cheap. I have a Fluval C3 on my 29 gallon which has that little "red button" that tells when the polishing pad needs to be replaced due to restricted water flow. My 29 gallon tank is 93% stocked according to aquadvisor.com and it the "red warning button" pops up roughly every two or three weeks.]

The blue bonded stuff from Drs forter & Smith also works as a polishing pad when combined with floss as does the standard filter replacement pad on Fluval C series. It's kind of interesting that Fluval does not provide polishing pad now that they bought out AquaClear. I guess they want to keep selling carbon !!!!!

Aquarium Filter Media: Drs Foster and Smith Blue Bonded Filter Pad

Sorry !!!!
OK - just for clarity sake,
I use AquaticLife Non-Woven Filter Pad 100 Micron

Amazon.com: Aquatic Life Media Non-Woven White Pad for Aquarium Filter, 100-Micron: Pet Supplies

I buy it at Petland ........ about the only aquarium product they seem to carry that is not way over-priced compared to Amazon.

[Note: the first time you use it ...... it might clog in one day !!!!! And it cannot be reused because the debris it collects is so fine it becomes embedded the media. The good news: It's cheap. I have a Fluval C3 on my 29 gallon which has that little "red button" that tells when the polishing pad needs to be replaced due to restricted water flow. My 29 gallon tank is 93% stocked according to aquadvisor.com and it the "red warning button" pops up roughly every three weeks.]

The blue bonded stuff from Drs forter & Smith also works as a polishing pad when combined with floss as does the standard filter replacement pad on Fluval C series. It's kind of interesting that Fluval does not provide polishing pad now that they bought out AquaClear. I guess they want to keep selling carbon !!!!!

Aquarium Filter Media: Drs Foster and Smith Blue Bonded Filter Pad
Cheap own brand walmart bed pillows will do the same thing, cheaper again. Just make sure there's no additives. 100% polyfill.....

Back
Top Bottom