HOB vs Canister

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dmolavi

Aquarium Advice Addict
This isn't your typical HOB vs canister question, so sit tight :)

I currently have 2 Penguin 200's on my 56 gallon FW tank. One of them has the "standard" filter media for the filter plus a 50 micron Coralife polishing cloth. The other has the "standard" media plus 2 Purigen pouches. Both obviously have the BioWheel. My water is crystal clear.

I'm considering replacing them with pair of Fluval C4 HOBs, or maybe a 406 canister. The pair of HOBs would have the flow rate closest to what I currently have. What I'm wondering is if it's worth it to even replace my HOBs with the Fluvals ("if it ain't broke..."), and if so, if sticking with the HOBs is the "best" path forward. My other concern is whether my Purigen pouches will be able to fit in the Fluval HOBs.

For the canister, it doesn't have quite the same flow rate as my 2 HOBs, and much less than the 2 C4s combined. From a filter media standpoint, it appears to be able to hold the same, if not more, than what I currently use.

Any input is appreciated. It might be 6 of one, half dozen of another, and 3+3 for what I'm currently running :) I'm not sure I'm even going to do this, since what I have is working just fine; it's more of an exploratory thing right now, so that in the event I need to replace a filter, I have my ducks in a row. :)

I'm not sure is a "best" path regarding HOBs and canisters. Each has their own merits.

If you go with the fluval HOBs, then i believe you could transfer the purigen pouch contents into an appropriately sized filter sock or hosiery.

If you stay with what you have and are injecting CO2 then I would be concerned with the degassing by the biowheels.

I migrated from an emperor (Marineland big brother) to an Aqua Clear mostly because of the emperor's noise and the AC's flexible media options.

Back
Top Bottom