HOB vs Canister...Which is the best?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Protege

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi fellas,

New to the forum. I've been trolling around looking for some answers, but finally decided to register and ask some stuff that I couldn't find. I've been reading a lot of posts regarding on how good HOB filters are because #1 more oxygenated filtering and #2 more GPH turnover rate. My current setup is a 37G high tank (30x12x22). Currently using a Hydor Prime 10 filter which I am not liking because I'm finding there's not much space to put stuff in. My other gadgets are: Eclipse hood (single bulb), Hydor THEO 150W heater, 28" airstone plugged to a Tetratec DW18 pump. I was going for an air mist background, but I'm not liking how it looks, so I'm thinking about ditching the airstones. In any case, the important thing right now is to find a cheaper, yet better filtration alternative than my current Canister filter. I would prefer Eheim, but it starts at $180CAD. I'm thinking about 2 Aquaclear 70s instead. My current residents are: 6 Pristella Tetras, & 4 Neon Tetras (was 6). Thinking about adding a Bristlenose Plec, 2-3 Discus, maybe a Green Severum (from a friend but that is very debatable at this point). I'll be adding these fish once I'm happy with how the tank looks and how well the filter(s) are running.

But, back to the topic at hand. When it comes to outright filtering, is HOB better than Canister?

Thanks-in-Advance.

I use both types and I prefer canisters because I have more control over what I can add to the flitering/bio process.

Dave

i think its personal preference.

from my experience
For a small tank - a HOB is the best
for a large tank - a canister is the best
for a very large tank - a wet/dry filter is the best

for a 37 gallon - i think a canister would be the best.
but again, a HOB is probably cheaper and you can probably buy 2 HOB for the price of 1 canister.

i'm a big fan of Aquaclear HOB - they are probably the best HOB in the market

there was a thread concerning HOB vs Canister a few weeks ago
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/viewtopic.php?t=59020&highlight=.
You should check it out, some good points are raised.

a strong point that was raised regarded the GPH turnover rate.
2 HOB could provide a much greater GPH turnover rate than 1 canister.
is this what you want ????
and as I said above - it would be much cheaper too
Also, you wouldn't even need an airstone, since HOB's provide the greatest oxygenation. This means one less electrical equipment (no airpumps/no airstones) and more room in your tank
Also, the aquaclear is SUPER SUPER quiet, so you will never have to worry about airpumps or noisy canisters (some can be noisy)

the downside of HOB is that you need space at the back of the tank and it is not as easily hidden compared to a canister (although a canister can be unsightly especially if its not stored in a cupboard).

Hope that helps.

Xzap said:
I use both types and I prefer canisters because I have more control over what I can add to the flitering/bio process.

Dave
you get the same freedom with an aquaclear :wink: :wink:

On medium sized tanks (probably 20 to 55 gal), I think it's personal preference and based on the scenario and application. Planted tank: use a canister. Need aeration: use a HOB. There are a ton of applications that could come in play.

I personally use an Aquaclear HOB and a Penguin HOB on my 29 gallon. The AC has PLENTY of room for bio media and lets me choose what I want.

I could be mistaken, but on larger tanks, I think canister is THE way to go.... unless you want 3+ HOB's on your tank.

i use both on my saltwater tank, but only two hob's on the freshwater. I don't think that my freshwater needs the same type of filtration that the saltwater requires.. but if i were rich, and I am not, I would have one of each on each. I believe that if you have two of everything on a tank, and one dies, well then you have one left doing it's job very well. Works for me. No running out to the store to buy a pump or filter in the middle of the night or in the middle of two paydays..

FMJnaX said:
I personally use an Aquaclear HOB and a Penguin HOB on my 29 gallon. The AC has PLENTY of room for bio media and lets me choose what I want.

I have the same set up on my 20g, I like the ability to alternate changing media on each filter and the security of having a back up already running. Plus the Penguin and AC have the uptake tube on opposite sides so you get better circulation IMO.

For larger tanks, canisters are usually preferred. for smaller tanks, HOB's are just so economic. With a 37, I'd probably use 2 HOB's, and I like AquaClear's.

Thanks-a-lot for the advice, fellas. I went out and bought 1 Aquaclear 70 today. I'll buy the 2nd once the first cycles properly and I'll be able to remove my canister filter out. I've also removed my airstones and pump, so the tank is whisper quiet at the moment. On top of that, I've bought 2 guppies to replace my 2 dead neons. I'll probably buy the bristlenose when I buy the second filter. Once again, thanks for the advice. :)

Back
Top Bottom