HOB's and cleaning...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Convict2161

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok so... I have question for HOB users specifically AC110's. do you ever take it off and clean the entire filter housing inside? I was thinking of doing so but not sure if I should. I do the basic wash the sponges in tank water etc etc etc. but you'll see in these photos at least to me a dramatic difference from one week to the next. The first pic is a few days after a water change, a 25% water change. BUT... When I do a bigger water change and turn the filters off, when turning them on they spit out all kinds of gunk and debris.

Here's the first pics.

image-2327664140.jpg

The second pic is after a bigger water change and the filters being turned back on.

image-2196817276.jpg

Clearly or... Not so clearly you can see a difference.

I'm so OCD its driving me NUTS!!

Parameters are fine.

I've noticed the same thing and figured it was something that was always going to happen when the HOB is turned off then back on. There is a haze present and up close I can't tell if it is very tiny air bubbles or particles. Especially with a high flow rate I think it is unavoidable.

However, I was planning on buying some poly fill and placing it between the sponge and biomedia to polish the tank. I would change it out at least once a week to reduce any BB from getting established. I'm sure other might have done something similar.

Basically all filters do the same thing. Any debris that is caught against the media while the filter is on, is released when the filter is turned off. It flows out when you power up the filter again. I clean my 110's completely about every 3 months or so. Case impeller, and housing.

Every time I do my PWC, I take my filter media out and dump the water out also...it has a lot of debris in it...when I do that I do not get such a big fog when I turn filters back on...

BTW beautiful tank

I wouldn't be able to either, I feel your pain bro. When you.do your water changes do you move stuff around and clean under it? I would clean the filters, I do mine when they start looking gross inside. Maybe its time to turn the fx5 back on to help suck some of that stuff up, since it didn't help turning it off.

I wouldn't be able to either, I feel your pain bro. When you.do your water changes do you move stuff around and clean under it? I would clean the filters, I do mine when they start looking gross inside. Maybe its time to turn the fx5 back on to help suck some of that stuff up, since it didn't help turning it off.

I'm gonna clean out both AC110's. I took the plumbing out for the fx5. Was looking into this...

http://www.fishtanksdirect.com/EheimProfessional3AquariumCanisterFilter2075-2.aspx

Back
Top Bottom