Home Depot T5 HO

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Jake337 said:
I know that the bulbs that come with the light fixture aren't good enough for the tank, but I feel like it would be such a waste to just change them when you just get them.

I be more concerned about electrocution considering that fixture is not designed to hang over water.

Don't all lights have the risk of electrocution?

Jake337 said:
Don't all lights have the risk of electrocution?

Aquarium lighting is sealed from splash and salt creep. If you splashed those lights, pop..... And saltcreep will corrode the fixture and cause shorts, leaching etc. lights build for aquariums are coated with a non-corrosive material.

Oh okay. The more I read te advice given, the less interested I am in buying the lights from home depot.

54seaweed said:
Any thing with a plug will cause electrocution

even a aquarium light comes with risk (y)

Of course but there are safety standards for a reason.

Jake337 said:
Oh okay. The more I read te advice given, the less interested I am in buying the lights from home depot.

If there is one thing ive learned from this hobby over the years its that equipment fails. You can take the best care of it but if its made of junk then one day thats what it will be.

An equipment failure on a tank could cost you thousands in losses, all from trying to save possibly a measly 25$ or so. This is just an example but it does happen. I always spend the most money on equipment that cannot afford to fail. Usually this means higher quality, better parts, function an reliability.

Peace of mind will keep you from pulling your hair out later.

Yeah that's true. It's just hard to get these equipment when your a high school student. I can't spend 100+ on objects.

Not to be rude, but if that is the case, then you may want to reconsider if the saltwater side of things is really for you. Even on a small saltwater tank, once you start getting into corals and nems, setting up and maintaining a saltwater tank in a manner truly condusive to supporting the life we keep quickly moves into the cost into $1000s, rather than $100s of dollars. If you're still interested in a saltwater tank you may want to consider a nano rather than a larger tank. Just some food for thought.

Yeah that's true, ATM I have a fish only tank 55gal. I might just keep it that way to save money. I'm not big on sps corals. I'm more about the anemone for my clowns. But that could wait for the future.

I've also heard from many people that beginners should always begin with bigger tanks. Easier to maintain and less of a hassle.

Jake337 said:
I've also heard from many people that beginners should always begin with bigger tanks. Easier to maintain and less of a hassle.

Yes but usually more money. For reference i have a 29g mixed reef that ive easily spent 2-3 grand on. Between salt, water, bulbs, livestock, food, supplements etc. the yearly operating costs are pretty significant.

Aquarium lighting is sealed from splash and salt creep. If you splashed those lights, pop..... And saltcreep will corrode the fixture and cause shorts, leaching etc. lights build for aquariums are coated with a non-corrosive material.
This is not always true. Many aquarium fixtures have no protection from water.
I've used hydroponics fixtures right next to aquarium fixtures and had no ill effects. Sunlight supply's "Tek" fixture is the one I am speaking of in particular, but there are many crafted the same way.
Even the ones with "waterproof endcaps" are simply a rubber gasket on the bulb end. If you sink that fixture in the water, you are gonna get a wake up call.

Bottom line is, you should not have any lighting close enough to water to get it wet.

Splash, evap and corrosion are the main concerns, all of which is atleast somewhat addressed with the tek lights. Submerging any light would be bad. This is even address with hydroponic grow lights, however it is not address in shop lights from home depot lol. Was the point i was making.

Actually, the protective coating on aquarium fixtures is paint. The same paint used on any other fixture for general purpose. general lighting is used in indoor pool rooms where evaporation and humidity is much higher than above most people's tanks without any worry or ill effects. Splash any aquarium fixture enough and it will corrode.
the only differences one would need to worry about are looks, and reflectors.

So would you say buying home depot t5 HO are good or bad?

So would you say buying home depot t5 HO are good or bad?

You definitely can use it. I would just put a piece of plastic/plexi glass on the front to make a splash guard. I would have done the same thing but when I was looking my homedepot didnt sell t5s.

Yeah, I don't have an open top on my tank. I have it all covered with a glass top.

Do you have a link to this light? I haven't seen any t5ho's at home depot either unless you are talking about the undercabinet lighting type stuff.

Generally speaking it's probably a lot cheaper to get a t5ho fixture with the correct bulbs in it off ebay or aquatraders or wherever than to buy a fixture locally and then have to buy the proper bulbs for it. Plus you have an option of higher quality stuff.

Back
Top Bottom