Home depot T5HO fixtures.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Crepe

Aquarium Advice Addict
I was at home depot today and I saw that they actually have HO fixtures. It was a 4 bulb fixture for 98 dollars. They were 72" kits though. So I would only get it if you have a 6' tank. Even then that's a pretty good deal. You could get 3-4 for under 400 dollars and have yourself a 16bulb 72" fixture

I haven't seen any shorter fixtures but I was just passing by so maybe they do have em.

Good to know!! Was that price including bulbs, and if so what kind of bulbs are they selling with it?

Unfortunately it's without the bulbs. And I didn't see any T5HO bulbs at Home depot. none the less, with the proper water proofing precautions (either replacing them with water proof end caps or covering them with acrylic) they are a LOT more economical than "aquarium" options.

edit: after a bit more research it turns out they have the kits from 2feet to 6 feet. It looks like there's more competition to be had in the lighting world now. I'm going to pick up two 2' kits for my bonsai experiments.

Even without the bulbs, that is a pretty good deal. When you pick some up, post some pics of the fixtures up!

Edit: 1 more question... are the bulbs individually reflected?

No reflectors. But it's a quick trip down a few aisles to grab some sheet aluminum they use for roofing. Just cut with tin snips and bend.

Apparently the 2' fixtures are under 30 bucks each lol.

Hmm...this might actually not be as good a deal as I thought. Most hydroponics stores will carry 4-12 bulb fixtures that are individually reflected for less.

Texas*Hydroponics*&...

4 bulb 2' fixture for 120 dollars available locally to me.
8 bulb 2' is 199.

Individually reflected, all wired up. This is probably the best route.
And it looks gorgeously sleek.

Definitely going with the 4 bulb 2'. If bonsai doesn't pan out it's reef time lol.

Are you sure this is a high output unit? Virtually no heat generated it says? I don't believe it. Also, how can the ballast drive all those bulbs?

Texas*Hydroponics*&...

4 bulb 2' fixture for 120 dollars available locally to me.
8 bulb 2' is 199.

Individually reflected, all wired up. This is probably the best route.
And it looks gorgeously sleek.

Definitely going with the 4 bulb 2'. If bonsai doesn't pan out it's reef time lol.
Yeah, but fishneedit has their 4x24w 2' fixtures for $99. You were really starting to get me flustered until you started talking about all the work it would take to make them half decent. Now I'm glad I got mine from fishneedit ;)

Are you sure this is a high output unit? Virtually no heat generated it says? I don't believe it. Also, how can the ballast drive all those bulbs?

It's high output. I held the thing in my hands at the store and it said HIGH OUTPUT quite obtrusively on the box.

Yah, I would order from fish need it but the 120 is with 4 plant bulbs.

So is the fishneedit fixture. You can choose between pink (roseate?), 6700k, 10,000k, and actinic... or any combination of the 4. Definitely not trying to push something off on you, but I'm really happy with mine, and its $20 cheaper ;)

Back
Top Bottom