Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-20-2013, 10:54 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist

Homebuilt stand question

I made the DIY stand from the DIY stand plans hereDIY Stands Template and Calculator - Reef Central Online Community I have a bit of a problem/question. Because the wood sold around here is a little warped usually, the stand came out fine but the load bearing boards are not touching the top frame in some parts(about 4 of the load bearing boards are touching). The frame seems quite sturdy and I assume that because the load bearing boards and the top frame are both screwed into the non load bearing boards that the weight is still going to be transferred to the load bearing boards but I am not 100% sure on how the physics of it works. I just wanted to check before I fill up my 50g tank. I will try to get a picture of the gap later when I am home.
I'm posting this here because the reef central forums suck and my posts don't show up half of the time and I figure you guys could offer some good advice as well.

Edit: Could I just wedge some wooden shims in the gap? That way the load would be transferred through the shims into the load bearing boards?

Old 05-21-2013, 12:54 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

I can't be sure from the picture but I would assume that once its filled the weight will bring the pieces together. I would put another two supports front and back in the center though.

Old 05-21-2013, 01:10 AM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist

To really ease myself and completely overkill this stand I am going to get some shims, wedge them into the gaps and glue wood glue to cover them up. Then I am going to put 2 more supports in the front and 2 more in the back. At that point this stand should be able to hold double the weight of a 50g tank if not more. 10$ more is not too much fpr piece of mind.
The extra supports I plan on cutting so they just barely fit into place so I will know 100% that they will be taking the load of the tank.
Old 05-21-2013, 01:35 AM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

sounds good
Old 05-21-2013, 05:46 AM   #5
Aquarium Advice Freak

I would lay some Styrofoam under the tank, if its not laying 100% flush with the wood it will put extra stress on the tank seams.
Old 05-21-2013, 06:46 AM   #6
Aquarium Advice Activist

Im putting plywood down for that.
Old 05-21-2013, 11:56 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

As long as your top is level plywood will be fine. Otherwise I'd use the Styrofoam. As for the stand itself you should be more than fine. I really don't think you need those center braces with those 2x4s.
Old 05-21-2013, 01:23 PM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

I've built two stands using those plans. So to me it looks like your non structural 2x4s (inside corners) are taking the load. If that is the case I'd trim them shorter so the legs take the load. You don't want screws holding the weight of the tank.

I've had my 75g setup for over a year with no center braces and it is fine. If you follow the plans you can do up to a 72" span without center braces, believe it or not.

Don't use styrofoam if you have a tank with plastic trim, that's what the trim is for.
Old 05-22-2013, 02:28 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Activist

I started shimming the support gaps, its a bit of pain as the gaps are a bit oddly shape so I have to use multiple shims and sand them to fit.

Old 05-31-2013, 01:41 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

I run a construction company with my dad and we custom build cabinets all the time. Putting a shim in the gaps is a good as anything. The most important thing is to make sure your tank sits level. Your 50 gallon tank will weigh close to 600 pounds when its all said and done. Those four supports that you have will split the weight up between them. Put your shims in to close the gaps and make sure the tanks sits level and I know you won't have any problems. Just to clarify, I have a 125 gallon tank that is going to sit on a custom built stand with four supports to split the weight up. Its built a different from yours but its the same concept and it holds the whole 1100 pounds that my tank weighs when filled. Good luck and I hope this helped a little.

Tags
question, stand, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com