Hood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Psyhampster

Aquarium Advice Addict
I'm looking for a good hood for a 30 gal tank. I want lighting acceptable for low light plants(Java Fern, etc) a HOB filter. There will be Marble Hatchets in the tank, and they are known to jump, so that is an issue also.

Ditto! The glass tops will keep your fish where they belong, and permit you to upgrade your lighting if you ever decide to do so. You can put whatever kind of light you want up there when you have glass tops.

Yes there is a strip along the back edge where the glass stops, but the lids generally include a plastic attachment that slides on to fit right up to the back of the tank, and you cut out exactly enough plastic to accommodate the filter, heater cord, etc. There should be very little space left open if you cut carefully.

Be sure you get the correct glass top for the type of tank you have. A Perfecto glass top for a 5gal is not going to fit an All-Glass 5gal tank, for instance (been there, done that....)

if you buy it premade, make sure you get the right one. there are atleast two different sizes of rectangular 30 gallon tanks. i have the long one.

If you want to save money one of the regular hinged plastic hoods with a flourescent lamp should work. Instead of breaking off the plastic cutouts in precut sections you could use something like a Dremel tool to trim the plastic exactly where you want to. That will keep your tank well covered and reduce the chance of your fish jumping out.

Back
Top Bottom