Hood advice for new 55 Gallon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

redwhiptailplec

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hey guys, I just managed to get a 55 Gallon aquarium...for free :lol: But sadly it is hoodless :( .

Now this 55 is going to be set up as a heavily planted Amazon style tank, so I will need lighting which packs a bit of punch.

I was wondering if anyone could recommend a cheapish hood, which will give me enough lighting potential? It is still going to be a few months before I can set up so ordering online etc. is definetly an option.

Thanks in advance :wink:

Glass tops are the only way to go. Plenty of light can penetrate through the tops for the plants and it's much more cleaner and classier looking and very easy to deal with. Retail is like $25 a piece. I can't remember what we sell them for, but I have glass tops on every tank in my house ;)! Let me know if you're interested and I'll see what I can do at the shop...

I think I've recommended this to you before, but if you have access to wood/woodshop/woodworking tools, build your own canopy. Check this link out, if you plan on building your own canopy. http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/diy_list.php
You can then head over to www.ahsupply.com and order two of their 96 watt bright kits which would give you almost 3.5 wpg. Perfect and bright lighting to grow almost anything you'd want. Then all you'd need would be a glass versatop.
HTH
-Stewie

Thanks very much for the advice guys! I really like the ahsupply kits, but unfortunetly my wood working skills are sadly lacking. I will probably nip over and have a look at those glass hoods 1tankneverenuff, I cannot imagine it would be difficult to set those light kits up on it....

Mind you it is not going to be as cheap as I had hoped, its $114.99 for two 96 Watt kits, probably about the same again for bulbs, $25 for the hood...$250! Eeep!

Probably just won't mention that to the wife...

Oh and 1tankneverenuff you said you were going to be getting more stock in soon, or something to that effect. Do you know when that is? I would like to come when I can get a good eyeful of everything. I am not allowed to visit too many fish places at the weekend you see...The joys of marriage, so I would like to make my trip when you are stocked up. Cheers!

Actually if I was using that kit could I use bulbs from Lowes or something? I know people do just not sure if they have enough of the light spectrum to be viable for a planted tank.

Do you mean power compact bulbs from lowes or NO floruescent bulbs? I haven't been to a Lowes for a long time, so I can't answer your question, but if you are talking about pc bulbs, and Lowes sells them, then yes. Just make sure you get them for the correct watt, and anything from the 5000 to 10k temp range is acceptable. Most people favor either the 6500 or the 9750 bulbs.
HTH
-Stewie

Oh, btw the bulbs at ahsupply are 32.99 so you'd need 2x of them. which would be 66.00 + the 115.00 for the kit + 25 for the hood, you're looking at around 200.00 for the setup, which I think is cheap lighting for a 3.5 wpg 55 gallon tank, IMO

The only way you'd need 4 bulbs is if you were planning on frying your tank! lol 92x 4 = ~ 7 wpg. You'd need a massive co2 producer, mass doser for ferts lol. I think the 2x92 watt would be just perfect for your setup. You could even run then at seperate times. Say 1 x 92 watts for the full 12 hrs a day, and the other 92 watt comes into play for ~ 10 hours of those 12. Just an idea. Sort of like a morning/daylight/evening simulation where the last 92 watt bulb comes on an hour after the frist one, and goes out an hour before the frist one. Its something to experiment with.
HTH
-Stewie

Might be an idea, it is only an extra 5 dollars to buy 2 seperate kits. Hmmm. I was not actually suggesting using four I was just being befuddled btw. I suppose I might want to invest in a C02 reactor at that I suppose......

You usually don't need anything over 3-3.5 wpg. Granted, this setup is going to save you about 20.00 + the cost of a hood/ building a canopy, but don't you think it'd look a little funny having 2 36' fixtures on a tank that is probably (i'm just guessing here) 48' long? Either you'd have a 6' gap on both sides if you put your lights behind one another or if you put one at one end, and one at the other, they will look offset to each other. I guess its all in what you fancy, and how much cash you are going to spend. Just a little bit of a forewarning tho. If you're thinking about having a planted tank that looks like one of these: Link Its going to cost you alot of money and time. You're going to have to get a GOOD substrate medium, (flourite is what I use), good lighting, frequent plant trimmings, pwc, dosing ferts, co2, schedule schedule schedule! It will be worth it in the long run, however you shouldn't skimp on your parts or make it not look as good as it could. A build canopy would make the tank look extremely nice, make sure to research everything before you dive right in. You'll want to have an idea of what kind of plants you want, then put the substrate it, plant them when you have about 1 or 2 inches of water above your gravel line then gently fill the water, etc. Its a big time consumer like I said, but definitely worth it. If you have any further questions, feel free to pm me.
Ps. I don't want you to think i'm plugging that much for the ah supply kits, but i've seen them in custom canopy of my friends, and its real bright and makes for a wonderful display.
HTH
-Stewie

redwhiptailplec,
I know equipment is coming in Tuesday, but I also work at my other job on the same day. I will be in on Wednesday to see where we stand with what's in stock and what's not...

Wow Stewie those tanks are absolutely beautiful! I do not think I can aspire to that yet...But I would still like my tank to be quite heavily planted. I think you are right the ahsupply kits seem to be more appropriate and they are not that much more expensive really.

1tankneverenuff I am going to pop along on Saturday and probably pick up one of those glass hoods at the very least. Sadly getting there on a weekday is not really an option.

Cheers for all your advise guys!

redwhiptailplec said:
Wow Stewie those tanks are absolutely beautiful! I do not think I can aspire to that yet...But I would still like my tank to be quite heavily planted. I think you are right the ahsupply kits seem to be more appropriate and they are not that much more expensive really.

1tankneverenuff I am going to pop along on Saturday and probably pick up one of those glass hoods at the very least. Sadly getting there on a weekday is not really an option.

Cheers for all your advise guys!

We just got a ton of equipment in today (Tuesday). New tanks, lighting, and lots of other stuff I can't even remember. And the crazy thing is we still have alot more on the way! I'll be in the shop on Wednesday getting things set up...if I don't work my other job on Saturday perhaps I'll see you there? I'm so excited about all of our new stuff!

I will definetly be in this saturday, hope to see you there!

You did say you had Bichirs didn't you? *Drools* Not that I can really get one at the moment, but seeing one might just persuade me to start up that Bichir tank I have been promising myself....

Anyway see you then, hopefully...

redwhiptailplec said:
I will definetly be in this saturday, hope to see you there!

You did say you had Bichirs didn't you? *Drools* Not that I can really get one at the moment, but seeing one might just persuade me to start up that Bichir tank I have been promising myself....

Anyway see you then, hopefully...

Hey man, that's good to hear! I'll find out if I will be in the shop on Saturday today (Thursday). We don't have any Bichirs in stock right now, I apologize if I mentioned anything to confuse you in some of my previous posts. We need another big shipment of freshwater and saltwater...we already got wiped out! I'll be speaking with Danny (store owner) on this matter before the end of the week. Be patient, our store is soon to be a hell of alot more bad ass ;). Haha!

Also, I was wondering what your name was? I feel retarded using our AA nicknames. My name is Ryan and I'm a 20 yr. old hobbyist who cashes his paychecks at the LFS. Hahaha...

Back
Top Bottom