Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 03-21-2005, 01:03 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

How about 2 of these http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/...1=1843;pcid2=? Does anyone think that might do the trick? Might be a bit too much maybe?

Old 03-21-2005, 02:56 PM   #12

You usually don't need anything over 3-3.5 wpg. Granted, this setup is going to save you about 20.00 + the cost of a hood/ building a canopy, but don't you think it'd look a little funny having 2 36' fixtures on a tank that is probably (i'm just guessing here) 48' long? Either you'd have a 6' gap on both sides if you put your lights behind one another or if you put one at one end, and one at the other, they will look offset to each other. I guess its all in what you fancy, and how much cash you are going to spend. Just a little bit of a forewarning tho. If you're thinking about having a planted tank that looks like one of these: Link Its going to cost you alot of money and time. You're going to have to get a GOOD substrate medium, (flourite is what I use), good lighting, frequent plant trimmings, pwc, dosing ferts, co2, schedule schedule schedule! It will be worth it in the long run, however you shouldn't skimp on your parts or make it not look as good as it could. A build canopy would make the tank look extremely nice, make sure to research everything before you dive right in. You'll want to have an idea of what kind of plants you want, then put the substrate it, plant them when you have about 1 or 2 inches of water above your gravel line then gently fill the water, etc. Its a big time consumer like I said, but definitely worth it. If you have any further questions, feel free to pm me.
Ps. I don't want you to think i'm plugging that much for the ah supply kits, but i've seen them in custom canopy of my friends, and its real bright and makes for a wonderful display.
HTH
-Stewie
Old 03-22-2005, 01:32 AM   #13
Aquarium Advice Regular

redwhiptailplec,
I know equipment is coming in Tuesday, but I also work at my other job on the same day. I will be in on Wednesday to see where we stand with what's in stock and what's not...
Old 03-22-2005, 09:03 AM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist

Wow Stewie those tanks are absolutely beautiful! I do not think I can aspire to that yet...But I would still like my tank to be quite heavily planted. I think you are right the ahsupply kits seem to be more appropriate and they are not that much more expensive really.

1tankneverenuff I am going to pop along on Saturday and probably pick up one of those glass hoods at the very least. Sadly getting there on a weekday is not really an option.

Cheers for all your advise guys!
Old 03-23-2005, 03:47 AM   #15
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwhiptailplec
Wow Stewie those tanks are absolutely beautiful! I do not think I can aspire to that yet...But I would still like my tank to be quite heavily planted. I think you are right the ahsupply kits seem to be more appropriate and they are not that much more expensive really.

1tankneverenuff I am going to pop along on Saturday and probably pick up one of those glass hoods at the very least. Sadly getting there on a weekday is not really an option.

Cheers for all your advise guys!
We just got a ton of equipment in today (Tuesday). New tanks, lighting, and lots of other stuff I can't even remember. And the crazy thing is we still have alot more on the way! I'll be in the shop on Wednesday getting things set up...if I don't work my other job on Saturday perhaps I'll see you there? I'm so excited about all of our new stuff!
Old 03-23-2005, 09:13 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Activist

I will definetly be in this saturday, hope to see you there!

You did say you had Bichirs didn't you? *Drools* Not that I can really get one at the moment, but seeing one might just persuade me to start up that Bichir tank I have been promising myself....

Anyway see you then, hopefully...
Old 03-23-2005, 09:23 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to mitche8359
Just wanted to second the AH supply kits. I bought one a couple years ago and have been very happy.

55 gal fresh - planted 2wpg ~ Eheim eco filter ~ south american theme
java moss - misc anubia - amazon sword - Red rubin sword - tennellus chain swords
4 ottos, 1 pleco, 3 high fin white tetras, 3 Black Phantom Tetras, 1 high fin black tetra, 1 black tetra, 2 diamond tetras, 3 yoyos

Join the Ohio Regional Forum and share information with local enthusiasts
Vote for Aquarium Advice Today
mitche8359 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 03:34 AM   #18
Aquarium Advice Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwhiptailplec
I will definetly be in this saturday, hope to see you there!

You did say you had Bichirs didn't you? *Drools* Not that I can really get one at the moment, but seeing one might just persuade me to start up that Bichir tank I have been promising myself....

Anyway see you then, hopefully...
Hey man, that's good to hear! I'll find out if I will be in the shop on Saturday today (Thursday). We don't have any Bichirs in stock right now, I apologize if I mentioned anything to confuse you in some of my previous posts. We need another big shipment of freshwater and saltwater...we already got wiped out! I'll be speaking with Danny (store owner) on this matter before the end of the week. Be patient, our store is soon to be a hell of alot more bad *** . Haha!

Also, I was wondering what your name was? I feel retarded using our AA nicknames. My name is Ryan and I'm a 20 yr. old hobbyist who cashes his paychecks at the LFS. Hahaha...

Tags
5 gallon, 55 gallon, hood

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com