Hood for a 29 Gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Viperboy

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hey guys im looking to upgrade the hood on my 29 gal because the one i got with it used is all dirty and the lid is broken and i want to get a better light for plants in case i ever decide to get them.

I was wondering if anyone knew a good site for a 29gal hood that is 30" long and 18 1/2" wide i believe ..... i would like it to come with a good light for plants if it could but i guess i could always buy it seperate ... TIA

Ray

Do you really need a hood?
Ever think of just skippin it?
I think my tank looks better that way....and more light gets in for the plants.
Also, I would assume it promotes better gas exchange too.

I would definately get a hood. Fish tend to jump to their death. Have you looked into glass hoods? Check out your lfs and see what they have. Otherwise, ThatPetPlace.com sells hoods pretty cheap. They have a 30x18 and 30x12 . Don't forget to leave room for the filter. And they also have Standard light fixtures .

Yes i def want a hood because like fishyfanatic pointed out i dont want any fish jumping to their death and also in the future i may get some piranha and without a hood those are dangerous :) .... also what is the difference between a glass hood and a plastic hood? any benefits or drawbacks? ..... also that t8 that the light fixture comes with .... are those good for low light plants? .. thanks for the responses guys

Ray

I second the idea of getting a glass hood. This gives you flexibilty when/if you decide to upgrade the lights. They also make glass hoods with wider areas to fit the wider strip lights that have twin bulbs. I got my "extra wide" glass hood at drsfostersmith.com - they seemed to have the best price (including shipping) when I looked.
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Produ...ll&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Np=1&N=2004&Nty=1

I prefer glass over plastic. I think the plastic hoods look cheap. The wattage of the strip will depend on which one you want. Are you looking at a single or twin tube?

I think i will go with glass just because of durability and look ... but i want to stay as cheap s possible right now ... so probably a good single that will be sufficent for low light plants like java , crypt, anubis , or any others

Ray

You might check out a double tube strip, they're like 40 bucks at Fosters & Smith. The 29 gallon is a bit tall and the extra tube would boost your light output. I have that over a glass versa top.

Thanks guys ... so for the price those are the best lighting that i can get and will be ok if i get some low light plants

Ray

PS I like the price tag on those rather than the compact ones i been looking at for 80

Back
Top Bottom