hood help please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pooky

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have purchased a 55 gal. aquarium from someone and am setting it up. I am finding that several parts don't work. I need advise for a hood (since one of the lights don't work).
The tank is 48 in long. There are currently 2- 24 in. hoods/lights on top and a bar down the middle to hold each up. Does that make sense? I am wondering if I could use a 48 in hood with that bar down the middle? I would ask at the pet store, but I've been there twice today and they are getting tired of me, I can tell. I think I had rather replace with the larger one instead of 2 smaller ones.
Is that a good plan? And will it work?
Thanks to anyone that can help this newbie.

I have purchased a 55 gal. aquarium from someone and am setting it up. I am finding that several parts don't work. I need advise for a hood (since one of the lights don't work).
The tank is 48 in long. There are currently 2- 24 in. hoods/lights on top and a bar down the middle to hold each up. Does that make sense? I am wondering if I could use a 48 in hood with that bar down the middle? I would ask at the pet store, but I've been there twice today and they are getting tired of me, I can tell. I think I had rather replace with the larger one instead of 2 smaller ones.
Hey Pooky. First of all, welcome to AA. Secondly, if your LFS treats their customers like that, ditch them go somewhere else. They either have too many customers or they won't be in business for long. Thirdly, any chance of a picture of the hood??

Here ya go! Thanks for your helpView attachment 184625
I can send one of the bar if that would help. It was too much to send them both in this reply
That picture won't load. To send a picture, when your replying to a post, you will see a paper clip symbol(beside the white smiley face) on the top row. Click that and you will get the option to send a picture. You have to make sure your picture is the correct size, check the JPEG size limits. You may also have to resize the original photo.....

All I know is don't remove the bar, that keeps your aquarium from buldging outward when you fill it water. I have glass cover on both sides and bought a 48" LED light online that spans across.

pics

Maybe it will work this time!

Attachments

• bar.jpg
    bar.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 51
  • top.jpg
    top.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 50
lol

I know! I am not offended and I totally agree with you! That's why I want to get a new top and light. I just need to know if I can get a 48 in one with that bar there or if I need to get 2 24 in ones.
I got a good deal on it. I got the stand and aquarium for $75. So I don't mind spending some money on new parts

I know! I am not offended and I totally agree with you! That's why I want to get a new top and light. I just need to know if I can get a 48 in one with that bar there or if I need to get 2 24 in ones.
I got a good deal on it. I got the stand and aquarium for $75. So I don't mind spending some money on new parts
That was a great price. When you say bar, do you mean in the hood itself or a piece of glass running vertical or horizontal across the tank??

It's like a metal bar in the middle that welded at the front and welded at the back to the actual tank. It stays on there when I remove the 2 hoods and lights.

It's like a metal bar in the middle that welded at the front and welded at the back to the actual tank. It stays on there when I remove the 2 hoods and lights.
Sorry for all the questions but I've never seen anything like that before. Is it just there to support the lights, for them to sit on or is it supporting the tank??

I think/thought it was just to hold the hood/lights, but someone else posted that they had that too and it kept the tank from bulging out when full of water. So I guess it's there for both reasons.
didn't mean to have such a complicated question...... :)

I think/thought it was just to hold the hood/lights, but someone else posted that they had that too and it kept the tank from bulging out when full of water. So I guess it's there for both reasons.
didn't mean to have such a complicated question...... :)
When you get a chance, can you post a picture of it. I'm curious to see it!!!

I posted it earlier. Did 2 pics not post? It shows on my screen that they did. It was the first pic.

The center brace needs to be left intact. It is there to help support the tank from bowing outward on the long sides. You need to measure the openings, and purchase glass canopies(tops). They will be the thickness of the indenture in the openings. Then a 48" light will set on top of the tank easily, and not be rocky. If you know the brand of the tank, it will make it easier to get the correct size canopies!!

LED lights are cheaper and cheaper these days without the heat, and problems you can get with the old fluorescent lights. There are two types of fluorescent lights VHO which I recommend, or the grow lights (t-8) which you can find at Home Depot of Lowes. Check out ebay, I got a pretty good set of LEDs at a very reasonable price.
Good luck!
D

Thanks to everyone for your help! Thanks to all of you, today I was able to order 2 canopies and a 48" LED light for my aquarium. I can't wait for them to come in! thanks again!

Thanks to everyone for your help! Thanks to all of you, today I was able to order 2 canopies and a 48" LED light for my aquarium. I can't wait for them to come in! thanks again!
Glad you got sorted. Enjoy your new shinny lights!!!

Back
Top Bottom