Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-06-2013, 11:05 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Question hood help please

I have purchased a 55 gal. aquarium from someone and am setting it up. I am finding that several parts don't work. I need advise for a hood (since one of the lights don't work).
The tank is 48 in long. There are currently 2- 24 in. hoods/lights on top and a bar down the middle to hold each up. Does that make sense? I am wondering if I could use a 48 in hood with that bar down the middle? I would ask at the pet store, but I've been there twice today and they are getting tired of me, I can tell. I think I had rather replace with the larger one instead of 2 smaller ones.
Is that a good plan? And will it work?
Thanks to anyone that can help this newbie.

Old 07-06-2013, 11:12 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pooky View Post
I have purchased a 55 gal. aquarium from someone and am setting it up. I am finding that several parts don't work. I need advise for a hood (since one of the lights don't work).
The tank is 48 in long. There are currently 2- 24 in. hoods/lights on top and a bar down the middle to hold each up. Does that make sense? I am wondering if I could use a 48 in hood with that bar down the middle? I would ask at the pet store, but I've been there twice today and they are getting tired of me, I can tell. I think I had rather replace with the larger one instead of 2 smaller ones.
Hey Pooky. First of all, welcome to AA. Secondly, if your LFS treats their customers like that, ditch them go somewhere else. They either have too many customers or they won't be in business for long. Thirdly, any chance of a picture of the hood??

Old 07-06-2013, 11:35 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Newbie

pics

Here ya go! Thanks for your helpAttachment 184625
I can send one of the bar if that would help. It was too much to send them both in this reply
Old 07-06-2013, 11:41 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Here ya go! Thanks for your helpAttachment 184625
I can send one of the bar if that would help. It was too much to send them both in this reply
That picture won't load. To send a picture, when your replying to a post, you will see a paper clip symbol(beside the white smiley face) on the top row. Click that and you will get the option to send a picture. You have to make sure your picture is the correct size, check the JPEG size limits. You may also have to resize the original photo.....
Old 07-06-2013, 11:42 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yeah a picture of the bar would be good. You can send up to four pictures in each post
Old 07-06-2013, 11:45 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
All I know is don't remove the bar, that keeps your aquarium from buldging outward when you fill it water. I have glass cover on both sides and bought a 48" LED light online that spans across.
Old 07-06-2013, 11:53 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice Newbie

pics

Maybe it will work this time!
Attached Images

Old 07-07-2013, 12:03 AM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Maybe it will work this time!
With the greatest of respect and please don't be offended, but that hood looks older than I am!!!. Have you the budget for a brand new light fixture???
Old 07-07-2013, 12:10 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Newbie

lol

I know! I am not offended and I totally agree with you! That's why I want to get a new top and light. I just need to know if I can get a 48 in one with that bar there or if I need to get 2 24 in ones.
I got a good deal on it. I got the stand and aquarium for $75. So I don't mind spending some money on new parts
Old 07-07-2013, 12:16 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
I know! I am not offended and I totally agree with you! That's why I want to get a new top and light. I just need to know if I can get a 48 in one with that bar there or if I need to get 2 24 in ones.
I got a good deal on it. I got the stand and aquarium for $75. So I don't mind spending some money on new parts
That was a great price. When you say bar, do you mean in the hood itself or a piece of glass running vertical or horizontal across the tank??

Tags
hood

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com