Hood/Light Fixture Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

follicle

Aquarium Advice Regular
Greetings,

I've had my 55 gallon freshwater aquarium for a while now and the hood has collected quite a collection of nasty dirt and crust that only returns a few days after cleaning it. I inherited the tank from my father, but he had it for several years before I received it. As of right now, I have a standard hood and light installed (I have two of these side-by-side: Recessed Fluorescent Hood - Black - 15 and 20H Gallon - 24 in. x 12 in.)

I had seen these types of light fixtures before and I really liked the way they looked (see here: Aqualight High Output T5 Dual Lamp Light Fixture - Double - 48 in.).

Can anyone help explain the benefits/pitfalls of a light fixture like this? I'm referring more to the manner in which it is mounted. The hood/light I have now completely seals the tank, but these seem to hover above the tank. I know fish leaping out of the tank could be a possible issue, but the only fish that was in danger of doing that (my African Butterfly Fish) recently died. I can't seem to find any flat out answer on the net as to what (if any) advantage there is to this setup.

Any input?

Thanks in advance for any replies!

By sitting above the light will disperse a little better, and you can mount it in the centre. normally, glass tops are used in conjunction with these. I don't know of any fish that is jump proof.

Back
Top Bottom