Hood options for 55 gallon?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RackinRocky

Aquarium Advice Addict
Both my hood "frames" are breaking. We have been gluing them, but it only lasts a few weeks before breaking again. Its time for a new one, but this is easier than it sounds. As you more experienced aquarists know, sometimes the hood doesn't fit your aquarium. I have a Marineland 55 gal. standard tank. It has the bar down the middle. Replacement for both sides would be about $75 average. I see glass canopies for $33 that would cover the entire top. Can I use the lights and light hoods that I already have with that? This wouldn't melt the glass, would it? It would be a lot cheaper for me to buy the glass, but can you tell me the possible drawbacks? Thanks!

If you are standard fluorescent lights you should just be able to rest them on the glass tops. As long as they are removable. Most of the inexpensive hoods just have light fixtures resting on top. Are yours integrated somehow? Pics?

Thanks, Dalto. Yes, the hood with the lights sits on top of the glass. Totally removable. I'm so glad to hear that I should be able to use the glass tops! Here's a link to what my hoods look like. There are two hoods on the top of the tank currently. Each is 12x24. I've heard some tops can be SLIGHTLY off, and that would be a bummer if I ordered it, and then it didn't fit!

http://www.amazon.com/Perfecto-Manu...5265&sr=8-6&keywords=marineland+aquarium+hood

Honestly, I like glass tops far better.

I use them on all my tanks.

I can't wait to order mine. I just read though, that the Marineland/Perfecto would fit my tank. A Versa Top would not. Apparently, people have gotten the Versa, only to have it not fit.

I like the clear plastic handles of the marineland/perfecto better than the black on the versa tops. I have not seen much different in quality between the two.

I have a 55gal also and same problem I bought the aqueon versa-top fits perfectly just can't use the side pieces they give you for the back piece of glass

Sent from my SM-N900V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom