Hot t5HO fixture

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cornstar

Aquarium Advice FINatic
My sister finally bought me the fishneedit fixtures. 48" 2bulbs, one actinic and one 6500k. The issue is that I had it on for a more than an hour and it is getting really warm. I am a bit scared that it might overheat if I leave it on tomorrow during school/work. I leave the house at 8am and I get home at 7-8pm. So that means 11-12 hours of light.

Suggestions? Ideas?

I've noticed that about the fixture I got from them as well. Not sure if theres a solution. maybe you can make a hole in the top and add another fan....

How hot are we talking? I know that someone on the forum had an experience with hers catching fire, but I think that was a freak occurrence since it happened right when she first set it up.

I'd just wait to run it for an extended time till you can be around it to monitor it and see just how hot it is getting. It shouldn't be hot enough to melt stuff, but it's not unusual for it to get pretty warm.

@carey, I did recall you vouching for them which was one of the reasons I requested my sister to get it. Did you do anything to yours to keep it from overheating? And how long do you usually keep yours on for?

@Jeta, it is just pretty warm, I can keep my hands on it for at least a minute so it is not burning. But I'll definitely run some tests.

Sounds normal to me, but if you are concerned just wait till you are around all day and run it for 12-14 hours and see how hot it gets, if it's not getting any hotter I wouldn't worry.

I dont have lids on my tank so it couldnt burn anything. And if you look underneath the light you can see that each side is shaded off to avoid maybe this very issue. :)

That's normal. There's no fan, so they do get a little warm. My 4 bulb FNI fixtures get very warm. Unless its melting the plastic splash guard, or actually burning your hand if you touch it for a couple seconds, it's fine IMO.

11-12 hours is a bit much though. You really should invest $4 or $5 in a timer

I currently have versa top glass lids so I don't think they'll burn. :)

Mrdroolie, which timer would you recommend? I always wanted one but not sure which to buy.

You can get the cheap timers in walmart for about $5. I keep my lights on the fishneedit fixture for maybe 9 hours a day and I've had no burning or scorching or anything like that. It's still a good light so don't worry too much about the heat unless you had it on a plastic cover or something like that. The fixture gets a bit hot but so far I haven't noticed any increase in tank temp so it must not be that hot. lol
:-D

You can also rig up a little PC fan (you can by an AC powered one at Radioshack for like $8-10) and just set it up so it blows across the top of the fixtures if you are concerned and want to dissipate some heat. No need for a permanent type install on it... anywhere you can set it that moves air across the top would work fine. I did this for a couple years with my T5HO fixtures.

Putting a timer is a great idea. I have mine setup where I have a one hour break to let the fixture cool off. I set it like 3 hours on, 1 hour off, 3 hours on then off for the rest of the day.

I think I would love to buy a timer, but I am doing some research prior to buying one and I can not seem to decide which would be good for my lights. I hear many that are cheap only lasts for a month or so and I would like one for the long-term

Anyone has any recommendations?

Cheap has always worked fine for me. Also, buy at a hardware store like HD or Lowes. They cost three times as much if they say fish on the box at the pet store.

The $5 brinks timers from Walmart have always worked well for me. Harbor Freight has a dual outlet digital timer that is identical in every way to the expensive Hamilton brand... for about $5 as well.

Back
Top Bottom