household compact fluorescents?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gabysapha

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Is it ok to use compact fluorescent lightbulbs (the swirly ones) in a 5g tank's hood (if it fits?)? Mine are 60W I believe. All I have in there are hornwort and java moss, so I think any light would work. I was just curious if the compact lightbulbs are used by other aquarists....

I have used the swirly bulbs in my smaller tanks when i was trying to grow some plants and they worked fine. As long as they fit in the socket and under the hood then you should be fine

I've used them for a few years in my 6 gal. hex, and the plants do very well.

I'm only growing Crypts, Anubis Nanas, and Sunset Hygo, so I'm not dealing with anything very challenging, but then neither are you. You should have no trouble with hornwort and java moss.

Some of the newer CF's are smaller than they used to be, and are easier to fit into a hood. I've found the "daylight" versions work nicely, and to my eye look better than the "warm white."

Are you talking about nornal light bulbs that you put in your house? Just curious

Back
Top Bottom