How accurate are electronic PH meters?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Is it lab-grade? Or better yet, a brand and model name/number would help.

Most lab-grade pH meters are very accurate. Coming within a accuracy of .001 if memory serves me. For an aquarium, I feel that it would be more than suited.

Well, from what I can tell, it looks alright. I know that pen pH testers are used in laboratories for a quick check on acidity. They are not the most accurate, more of a quick thing. Lots of chemists carry one in the pocket of their lab coats.

Anyway, it is stated it has an accuracy of 0.1 . Which, I would imagine is alright. Are you comfortable with a possible difference of either the pH being 6.5 or 6.6 or 6.4? All three of those are the possibility. Instruments are also tended to be higher rated, so it's up to your discretion.

One thing I would like to add, it is claimed to have a glass electrode. They are very sensitive, easily broken, and difficult to find a replacement (in most cases). I wouldn't buy a used one unless it were in my hands. It could be cracked, scratched, broken, etc.

If I were buying one for myself, I would pick one up for twenty bucks.

BTW, I'm an undergrad professional chemistry student and have worked at the environmental chemistry department at UGA as a lab assistant, so I have a little bit of first hand knowledge.

I'd like to get one of these to do quick checks, I'm more concerned with general values and stability over exact #'s so I think it'd work out great. I already use a pen TDS meter. Makes testing much simpler and faster.

You have to calibrate the ph pen once in a while with a solution to ensure it is accurate.

So, how did it go? Did you pick it up?

And as gohy989 said, you need to calibrate it. Actually, you should calibrate it everytime before you use it. That is the point of calibration accuracy.

Back
Top Bottom