Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-17-2011, 10:03 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Apprentice

Cool How big of a tank can I expect to get

I currently have a 55g tank. I am looking to upgrade. I want to buy a new tank. I have roughly $3,000 saved up for my new tank. I would like to purchase a new one. I also want it to have a nice stand and hood, so I can get the wife's blessing to display it in the living room. Without counting the fish or decorations, what size tank do you think I can get. I really feel like bigger is better, and space is not really an issue. I do need to count the price of the filter though.

Old 05-17-2011, 10:05 PM   #2
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

You could probably find a 500+g used, but probably 180g new

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 11:15 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Addict

Is this going to be FW or SW? If FW are you going to have plants? If SW are you going to have coral? I only ask because lighting can get really expensive once you get into the larger tanks. Plus the cost of the filtration can be a bit as well.

I do agree with mfdrookie that a 180 new is right in the ball park. Possibly a 220 if you get it on sale.
Old 05-17-2011, 11:42 PM   #4
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

If you were to look at used, I'm sure you could find a 220g with a georgous stand/canopy, new filtration and a new high end light fixture with a few bucks for fish left over.

HUKIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 12:27 AM   #5

Thanks for the advice. I think that I am going to start with fresh water, but I want to have the option of converting to salt water at a later date. I just started shopping around. I can't wait to get a new tank. I've had my 55g for four years and I really want more fish. Im sure you guys know how that goes.
Old 05-18-2011, 12:41 AM   #6

Good luck! I'm excited for you! I remember when I was you! I LOVE mt 40gal reef tank. It is really the only reason my kids are still alive! ENJOY!
Old 05-18-2011, 12:50 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Addict

Find a tank wholesaler in your area. We have one in central florida, I don't know if he ships or not, but my 220 gallon was 1700 bucks before tax, and that was for the tank, stand, canopy, and plumbing. If your budget was 3,000 for everything needed, then you could swing, lights, sump, pump, and misc. items with the remaining money. It really depends on what you want to keep.

Tags
tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com