Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 04-02-2011, 02:10 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Addict

I would reseal it anyway. My 20g given to me by my uncle is older than me, seals looked perfect, but that didn't stop me. Keep in mind, this thing will be full of water, in the event that something happens to the old seals, do you really want 30g of water leaking out over night? Even a small unnoticeable drip can cause mold problems and possibly more severe issues. Hope this helps.

Like someone's post? Show some appreciation with the reputation button!
thominil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 02:15 AM   #12

yes... i did the same...except i left it for a couple more, cuz i was lazy.. no problems i just wanted to fix it up so i know it will stand the test of time

Old 04-02-2011, 12:40 PM   #13
AA Team Emeritus

There has been some bad advice disseminated here. Silicone has a life expectancy, even dry, of 35 years. It is meant to be used as an all weather caulk and being dry does not harm it. NEVER reseal over old silicone, even if the old fillets are neat. If you want to reseal for peace of mind, do so. Be aware that the new fillet you put down may not be as good as the original if you do not clean the old silicone off well enough. Not trying to scare you off, as I have resealed a number of tanks and believe it is worth doing for any size tank. If the tank holds water why create work for yourself? Reality is that the important silicone is between the panes; the inner fillet is just insurance.
Old 04-02-2011, 02:20 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillD
There has been some bad advice disseminated here. Silicone has a life expectancy, even dry, of 35 years. It is meant to be used as an all weather caulk and being dry does not harm it. NEVER reseal over old silicone, even if the old fillets are neat. If you want to reseal for peace of mind, do so. Be aware that the new fillet you put down may not be as good as the original if you do not clean the old silicone off well enough. Not trying to scare you off, as I have resealed a number of tanks and believe it is worth doing for any size tank. If the tank holds water why create work for yourself? Reality is that the important silicone is between the panes; the inner fillet is just insurance.
I agree with you with best is reseal but I was pointing out that I have re sealed a few tanks for friends over old and never leaked but that was just my opinion. Silicone does stick to old providing it is perfectly clean as I have had to do this not out of choice at work being a plumber. Like you say though it is the secondary barrier. If the tank is being scrubbed more than likely the old seal will get damaged with excessive scrubbing. Always make sure it's aquarium safe as some silicone contains chemicals that can harm fish and do a ph test when filled as all silicone liberates acetic acid on cure. As fore life expectancy I found on wiki this "Good quality sealants should produce joints that last in excess of 10 years." so I just said 10 as ya never wanna risk more that's all.

"fish are friends, not food"
Old 04-02-2011, 02:32 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1cky69 View Post
all silicone liberates acetic acid on cure
That's not entirely true
Old 04-02-2011, 02:41 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Activist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackSpadesSI

That's not entirely true
Sorry aquarium silicone lol, that's the difference in the way they cure between normal silicone and aquarium safe, from wat I remember anyway

Old 04-02-2011, 02:48 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Activist

What sort of tank are you going for? You decided yet?

Old 04-03-2011, 03:34 AM   #18

i cut as much of the old i can OUT.. but i want it to stay together as i redo the edges... im not gonna use clamps when its not needed. did i give bad advice???
Old 04-03-2011, 03:37 AM   #19

vinager? rubbing alcohol, and razer blade should clean it well.new cone will not stick well to old cone.
Old 04-03-2011, 05:12 AM   #20

like you said the seal between the glass is the (1st- best)...last seal any water could get thru...then they spread more to make a extra seal to keep water off the main seal that seals 2 panes of glass 2gether..if it leaks you may need to reseal the panes together, and silicone the inside edges

Tags
clean

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com