How Do I Cut 1" Thick Glass?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BigJim

Aquarium Advice Addict
Over the weekend I was gifted with a 10ft long tank made of eurobraced 1" thick glass. The catch is that the front and one side are cracked. The front is only cracked about 10" or so in one corner.

If I can get glass reasonably cheap for the side, I'd like to shorten the tank by a foot. Other wise, I'll shorten it by two feet and use a piece of the bottom for the side.

Anyone have a suggestion on cutting this glass? I'm leaning towards having a pro do it.

well, you take a yardstick, some duct tape and your wife's engagement ring...

I'd call a pro, as this is well beyond score and crack.

Yep, see if they can come to you though.

They will use a glass blade on a circular style saw.

I agree, a pro is the way to go. I dont think it would cost much. You already have the 1" glass!

cutting glass is pain in the butt!!! it takes about 4 people with hand tools to cut Plexiglas half that size. and bet that stuff is much more prone to cracking and flaking. and also i would think they would have to come to you then possible take it to there shop i dont know this kind of job could be done on site.

ps i know this because i use to work in a frame shop where we had to cut glass all the time it was very hard to get good at at least for me it was.

Try a tile cutter with a new blade, they cut ceramic and stone tiles and are very clean cut.
BUT i would try on old glass or unusable piece first
theyare very good and cut best part everything
ceramic and glass are very similar
Plasplugs cutter is what i use and im a tiler its never not cut anything i have put in it but have not tried glass

well, you take a yardstick, some duct tape and your wife's engagement ring...

I'd call a pro, as this is well beyond score and crack.

i didnt think cubic zirconium could cut glass. :rolleyes:

i would definitely contact a professional or glass shop before trying it yourself.

Ya mean you bought her a birthday car and a cheep ring. Well at my age birthday cars are starting to go back up...

I am interested in the resolution of your problem. Maybe with this economy you put it on hold. I am interested in recycling thick glass for charity art and stuff. Unless it is tested for strain, it can never be safely used for a tank but I am interested in glass damaged or otherwise. I am especially interested in 1/2" or thicker glass and 1/4" or thicker if it is the water white glass. If I can cut the cracks out and still end up with hand span pieces I would be interested. In some places one has to pay to take that to the disposal so I would certainly pay shipping and a bit more. In California or Nevada area, I might even pick up. I am not really looking for plexiglass BTW.
As far as cutting goes, unless it is being done all the time it would probably best to let someone with a diamond saw or a water jet cut it. If it is with the latter thick glass will leave it with a bevel so be sure you let them know what is acceptable.

Ya mean you bought her a birthday car and a cheep ring. Well at my age birthday cars are starting to go back up...

I am interested in the resolution of your problem. Maybe with this economy you put it on hold. I am interested in recycling thick glass for charity art and stuff. Unless it is tested for strain, it can never be safely used for a tank but I am interested in glass damaged or otherwise. I am especially interested in 1/2" or thicker glass and 1/4" or thicker if it is the water white glass. If I can cut the cracks out and still end up with hand span pieces I would be interested. In some places one has to pay to take that to the disposal so I would certainly pay shipping and a bit more. In California or Nevada area, I might even pick up. I am not really looking for plexiglass BTW.
As far as cutting goes, unless it is being done all the time it would probably best to let someone with a diamond saw or a water jet cut it. If it is with the latter thick glass will leave it with a bevel so be sure you let them know what is acceptable.

Holy necro, Batman!

You did realize that the last reply to this thread was back in 2009, right..? :whistle:

Holy necro, Batman!

You did realize that the last reply to this thread was back in 2009, right..? :whistle:

I sure did, after I got here. This questions is still circulating in the Eternanet. But as with DIY or DYI, good information never goes out of style. My best set of Handyman Handbooks are 54 years old and they are much better than a set given to me a couple of years back. I noticed no one mentioned water jet and here is another tip. You need to slow the saw down when cutting glass and use a lubricant like used transmission fluid. Window glass will not take the stress ceramic tiles will. Did Ya Know that or have you ever fabricated glass? I was when this was originally posted, 6" thick.... :brows:

Back
Top Bottom