how do i make the water softer

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
nothing technical about it really, it's just a bunch of in-line filters that strips the water clean. there is not really any other way. using a household water softener is much more expensive and doesn't take out as much.

The simplest way is the one I use - just locate a local distilled water company - the internet is the quickest way - and buy the water in 5-gallon jugs, and use that for water changes. The osmosis filtered or distilled water costs about 20 cents a gallon, at least in my area - a negligible charge. (Adding some peat moss to the filter will lower the Ph, but it also tints the water, which may not be desirable.)

Depending on the quantity needed you can buy RO or Distilled by the Gallon (.65 Cents US per gallon around my area) and play around with the mix RO/Tap Water until you get the softness you desire.
Whattaya got and where are you trying to get? ;)

An air pump can help make water more acidic and without nutrients over time, so can driftwoods, so can rotting plant matter, so can aquarium safe peat.

You could store water, condition it, then put an airstone in it. Use that stored water for your water changes. It will soften over time.

Back
Top Bottom