Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 11-23-2009, 06:10 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thanks. I wouldn't think they'd work as well with a sand substrate and it seems like it would take longer to get the tank cycled if using a UGF than a more 'highly regarded' filter but I'm still standing by "it's better for the residents than nothing at all".

Old 11-23-2009, 06:16 PM   #12
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

yep, cant use them with sand, but ive heard that they will cycle a tank faster, at least thats what a couple people on here have said. i dont like the concept though, and have heard too many stories of the junk that builds up under them

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 06:27 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Addict

A ugf does build gunk, I have mine on double reverse flow soon to be 4x reverse flow, The tank water smells better then the tap water does.

Ive seen some UGF systems that were years old that were surprisingly clean for their age, most part due to extremely disciplined tank cleanings and strict feeding amounts.
Old 11-23-2009, 06:30 PM   #14
Aquarium Free - 2+ Years

POTM Champion

are you pushing up through the gravel then? sounds like that would definately help with the "gunk" buildup

"What, exactly, is the internet? Basically it is a global network exchanging digitized data in such a way that any computer, anywhere, that is equipped with a device called a 'modem', can make a noise like a duck choking on a kazoo." - Dave Barry
mfdrookie516 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 06:36 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yes, Mine pumps from the tank down the tubes via powerheads w/ marineland reverse flow kits. everything floats about an inch or two above the gravel line then goes up into the filter and starts all over again.

My corydoras have adapted well to not being bottom feeders.
Old 11-24-2009, 09:39 AM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

does the gravel look like is is along a volcanic rift, moving? I would imagine you get the most flow closest to the down tube and relatively little at a distance. Unless you have multiple downtubes and multiple powerheads.
Old 11-24-2009, 10:33 AM   #17
Aquarium Advice Addict

multiples here but yes there is a constant erosion process at the plate......combated with chunk rock. however I use flourite and its very light weight material.
Old 11-24-2009, 04:53 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Activist

Wow...I did not know there was so much banter on weather to use an UGF or not.

Tags
filter, filters, undergravel, undergravel filter, undergravel filters

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com