how do you "flush" a portable RO/DI unit?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hbeth82

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I've been using my portable RO/DI unit for several months now and have remembered somebody suggesting that it ought to be flushed every so many weeks. However, I can't find any instructions on how to do that. Google searching basically just gets me variations of the following:

"The best way to do it is to buy a flush kit, their pretty easy to install..Another way is to remove the flow restrictor and turn on the water with the restrictor out for 20-30 seconds."

As I understand this, they're suggesting disconnecting a small plastic piece from the waste line, but I can't see how this would remove built-up nasties. Seems like the best way to flush the system would be to reverse the flow of water, pushing all the built-up minerals out, but that doesn't sound right and I don't want to risk damaging the system. I've tried emailing the eBay store where I purchased this but there seems to be a language barrier and he won't answer the question any better than did the quote above.

So, can anybody give me a better idea on how to do this. If pix would help, please let me know.

Thanks!

Only a portion of the water goes through the membrane, and the rest flushes it.

So removing the plastic piece from the waste line will allow most of the water going through the system to flow out of the un-restricted waste line, and this will flush the system?

Back
Top Bottom