How do You Preform Your PWC's?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tetra1990

Aquarium Advice Addict
Just finished a 90% PWC on my 29 gallon. I got to wondering how does everyone else preform them. Do you have a siphon and do it the 'high tech' way or are you 'old school' and use the bucket and cup method? Personally, I go old school with a 2 gallon old trash can, and a plastic drink cup from the gas station. Both of which are clean!

On my smaller tanks I use a small bucket and empty it into a 5g bucket and then dump. I then use the same small container to refill the tank.

Now when i do my big tanks i use a pump dropped in the tank and run the out put to the sink. i then run that same pump and hose and put it in my water storage containers that are 32g each and pump right back to the tank. :)

Python for my 75g. 15 minutes and I'm done. Did you say 90% wc? That seems like a lot IMO. Were your parameters way off? Most I've done was a 70% when NitrAtes were high. Other then that it's weekly 25% WC's for me.

Convict2161 said:
Python for my 75g. 15 minutes and I'm done. Did you say 90% wc? That seems like a lot IMO. Were your parameters way off? Most I've done was a 70% when NitrAtes were high. Other then that it's weekly 25% WC's for me.

I'm doing a fish less cycle. My nitrites were off the chart.

Convict2161 said:
Ahhh.... Makes sense then. Good luck with your cycle.

Thanks. I've been very tempted to add a few fish to speed up the cycle. Any thoughts? Btw, it's been fish-less cycling since march 25.

Tetra1990 said:
Thanks. I've been very tempted to add a few fish to speed up the cycle. Any thoughts? Btw, it's been fish-less cycling since march 25.

I did a fish in cycle. I've read of people dosing ammonia or using fish food. Hopefully someone with more experience can help. I just added fish and did massive water changes daily for weeks. Crazy? Maybe but it's been done before me and will continue.

i take a syphon thingy and a 5 gallon bucket,and try not to spill too much when i take it outside(while astro,my dog,trys to dart around my legs and chase bunnies into the highway)

I use the old vacuum syphon technique on all my tanks into a 10 gallon cooler. I always have 12g of water set aside as well so I don't have to wait for it to reach room temp.

Syphon and (3) 5 gallon Buckets. For 2 of my tank I drain it out the window. For my Hex tank I have to empty one bucket at a time.

I do plan on investing in a Python or devise a Pump system as I get my 75's up and running.

I use a siphon to drain into the bathtub, and an aerator attachment to the sink faucet to refill. I replace between 50-70% a week.

Doing PWC`s during a cycle will prolong your cycle. We have an excellent article on cycling your Sw tank that has some insight on what happens. If you have livestock in your tank during your cycle then you`ll need to do PWC`s to help them survive. If fishless then no PWC needed until the cycle is complete.

Siphon connected to a garden hose running out to a vegetable patch to fertilize it.

Then the garden hose to fill it back up. And no, I don't have temp issues.

Syphon for all of them. Use the python thing for the 90 and the 20- drain them out into the yard. For the 5 I just use a regular syphon and empty into a bucket. Got to be able to clean the gravel. For refilling I use the python on all of them! Great device!! Well worth the money!!

Hey, there, I have a question, when you put water straight from the tap with a Python, how much conditioner do you add to the tank? The amount needed to correspond to the volume changed or the total aquarium volume?

I add the amount of conditioner needed for the total volume of the tank. Put it in several areas of the tank before refilling. Never had a problem doing it this way.

For all my tanks except my RCS tank I use my python. Since RCS have proven to be very sensitive to my local water supply I keep gallon jugs filled and ready to refill their tank (it's only a 10g for now, upgrade in the works)

For my upstairs tanks I drain into the garden, flower beds or yard. Even my BW tank. The flowers love that water, whodathunk!

I also dose Prime for the whole tank instead of just what I drained.

Back
Top Bottom