Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 07-19-2014, 07:26 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice FINatic

How do you take moister out of a glass aquarium heater?

Last night my pond was cold as it has been raining here for the past couple days and there has not been a lot of sun. I noticed my fish were all swimming at the bottom which to me indicated something was wrong. I felt the temp of the water and it felt cold so I thought maybe the fish are just a bit chilled. I brought out my Marineland 200 watt heater and stuck it in the pond for the night. When I checked on it a couple times the fish were all swarming around it but the temperature was not rising in the whole pond. When I got up this morning too take it out I noticed that it had some moister in it which surprised me as it is a submersible heater. What do I do too take the moister out I don't want to rune a good heater. Thanks

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Old 07-19-2014, 08:00 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice FINatic

If there is moisture inside the heater itself, the heater is ruined. Unfortunately, if there is moisture inside of it that means it must have a leak somewhere, else how would it have gotten in? And leaky heaters are NOT safe at all, and probably won't work either.

Old 07-19-2014, 08:05 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1998golfer View Post
If there is moisture inside the heater itself, the heater is ruined. Unfortunately, if there is moisture inside of it that means it must have a leak somewhere, else how would it have gotten in? And leaky heaters are NOT safe at all, and probably won't work either.

It works fine but I took it out as soon as I saw it as I know it would be a big hazerd. I tried taking a blow drier to it but that just seemed to make the moister worse. Is it possible that it has moister in it because the temperature of the pond was a lot cooler than the inside of the heater. I use to use this heater all the time in one of my fish tanks and I never encountered a moister problem.

Old 07-19-2014, 08:27 PM   #4
Macro Addict
Community Moderator

POTM Champion
Tank of the Month Award

buy a new one
if it's showing condensation inside the glass it's bad
next it will be sending out stray voltage shocking you and your fish
Old 07-19-2014, 09:05 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Uhhmm, what kind of fish do you have in the pond?
If it's Koi and goldfish, they can survive even if the pond surface froze over, so you shouldn't be to concerned if it's cold. Plus it's perfectly natural for them to be less active when it's colder.
Remember your body temp is 98.6, so even 80 degree water will feel cool.
Old 07-19-2014, 09:06 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by 54seaweed View Post
buy a new one
if it's showing condensation inside the glass it's bad
next it will be sending out stray voltage shocking you and your fish

Don't worry I won't be using it ever again. It's just one of those heaters that comes with an aquarium kit so it's not top of the line. I never have to worry about myself or the fish being electrocuted because the outlets I use for all my aquariums and the pond are GFI's. If you don't have a GFI on your tank i would definitely recommend getting one it's the safest thing you can do when your dealing with electricity and water.

Old 07-19-2014, 09:08 PM   #7
Aquarium Advice FINatic

How do you take moister out of a glass aquarium heater?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PB_Smith View Post
Uhhmm, what kind of fish do you have in the pond?
If it's Koi and goldfish, they can survive even if the pond surface froze over, so you shouldn't be to concerned if it's cold. Plus it's perfectly natural for them to be less active when it's colder.
Remember your body temp is 98.6, so even 80 degree water will feel cool.

The water was about 65 F I think. I have a floating thermometer in there. Btw my fish are a mixture of fancy comets and feeder goldfish.

Old 07-19-2014, 11:08 PM   #8
Aquarium Advice Addict
Community Moderator

Tank of the Month Award

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pleco1415 View Post
The water was about 65 F I think. I have a floating thermometer in there. Btw my fish are a mixture of fancy comets and feeder goldfish.

You don't need a heater in that pond with those fish. I only use on in the winter and it turns on when the temp gets below 40F. It only melts a small area in the ice to allow gas exchange.
Old 07-19-2014, 11:43 PM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

POTM Champion

Yeah, temp is definitely not an issue. If it was raining when you checked them, that is why they were staying at the bottom.

Tags
aquarium, ate, eat, eater, glass, heat, heater

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com