How Do You Tell If a Stand is Strong Enough

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lt.

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Well, this is a forum I don't honestly visit often, not do I think I've posted here.

So, question is, I got a sturdy old TV stand from a local 2nd hand store, looks like 90s or older construction, but in immaculate shape. I started planning on a 20G Long tank... But then changed gears and got a 29G tank, just a simple rectangle tank. Now I'm not sure if the stand is up to the job... How could I judge this? I can ad pics if necessary.

A picture would help. It is hard to say, but I wouldn't risk it if you don't think it will hold. Is it particle board or real wood? Depending on where you are putting the tank on the stand may make a difference too. If it's on top of the stand may not work as well as inside where the t.v would go.

I would make sure it has a supporting brace in the middle. A 30 gallon tank will weigh around 300 lbs with water, substrate and decorations.

Hopefully with a picture, someone with an engineering background can help more.

I would think it was made of particle board as most tv stands of that time were not something I would want to trust with a heavy load , but a pict can help better determine that.

Last edited:
I weigh a solid 225ibs, and in all honesty, I can sit on it without a creek or budge, if I shift side to side there's only the slightest wobble. I'm just on the fence...

It kind of boils down to how much you treasure what you are going to put into the tank and what's under the tank. IMO, when in doubt, get something that is made to handle the tank vs something that "might" work. ;) If that stand isn't solid wood, there is as much a chance of it not working long term as there is that it will.
There shouldn't be any wobble in a tank stand. It needs to be solid on the floor. Get shims to level it and make sure the top is flat. (y)

I think I would give it a shot. Of course it is a little easier for me to say that since, I'm not the one who will have to clean up the mess :) Try just filling it with water and see what happens. If you hear any noises or creaks then just take the water out and you know it won't work. If it holds water ok, just make sure the frame isn't bowing under the tank. Let it setup on a weekend when your around to keep an eye on it.

Best of luck!

looking at it since it has those 2 center braces with the shelf it may work , I'd give it a test run outside so if it don't hold your not cleaning up a flood in the house, better safe than sorry

I live in a third floor apartment in the middle of town, in a 100 year old building... It either works or doesn't. I think I'll hold off and sell what I have and build a better stand.

Knowing that info, I would agree with you. You don't want to get kicked out of your apartment for flooding the neighbors apartment. I built a stand for my 90 gallon and it turned out very nice. There are some good plans online.

Shoot if it were me I would add some 2x4 bracing inside those cabinets and put 4" screws through the top and bottom to secure them.

Shoot if it were me I would add some 2x4 bracing inside those cabinets and put 4" screws through the top and bottom to secure them.
Actually, I didn't think of that, I'm gonna use that idea.

In all honesty, of I could buy a 25 gallon tank that we just 3 inches taller than a 20L instead of a 29G I would, I just wanted more swimming room floor the fishies.

Actually, I didn't think of that, I'm gonna use that idea.

In all honesty, of I could buy a 25 gallon tank that we just 3 inches taller than a 20L instead of a 29G I would, I just wanted more swimming room floor the fishies.

Make sure you counter sink the screws so your top is even. No bumps for screw heads as bad luck will put it right where your tank edge might happen to be.

Sit on it and wiggle. If the stand shimmies at all add a plywood panel on the back and then add screws threw that into the 2x4s you added. After that it should survive anything.

For some overkill you could lay some poly on the top for water proofing.

Height is good. Unless you have plants that need light. Then it can be bad.

I'm not worried about putting plywood on the back of the stand, I'm adding 1x1's or 1x2'a on all 4 corners, then on the inside where those two internal supports are, I'm adding 1x4's on both sides of them to add support.

The top is made of either 1/2 inch or 3/4 inch plywood, so I don't think I need any horizontal cross braces running the whole width of the stand, I'm just gonna at lots of verticals. I'm putting just a hair of confidence into the 1/2-3/4 inch plywood top.

So to summarize, I'm adding 12 vertical supports all together.

I'm not worried about putting plywood on the back of the stand, I'm adding 1x1's or 1x2'a on all 4 corners, then on the inside where those two internal supports are, I'm adding 1x4's on both sides of them to add support.

The top is made of either 1/2 inch or 3/4 inch plywood, so I don't think I need any horizontal cross braces running the whole width of the stand, I'm just gonna at lots of verticals. I'm putting just a hair of confidence into the 1/2-3/4 inch plywood top.

So to summarize, I'm adding 12 vertical supports all together.
Those old tv stands are pretty rock solid from what I remember. I used to have many like it back in the day. I think it will be fine. Even the nice ones you get at PetSmart are particle board and they hold up.

It looks solid enough, the easy way to shore it up if your rectangles twist a bit with pressure is by adding triangle brackets inside the far corners. Sink some extra screws into the backing where it meets the shelf and some more along the 2 vertical supports in the middle as well. That should give you better peace of mind.

That is a pretty nice-looking stand and appears to be a good candidate for an easy fix upgrade to ensure it will hold whatever weight you put on it. The weak point as you described in your test, is the back not providing enough lateral rigidity. Get a piece of 1/2" plywood, preferably marine grade, but not absolutely necessary, cut to fit, and simply glue/screw it to the back.

Reactions: Lt.
Back
Top Bottom