How does a python cleaner work?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have the 50' and works like a charm. I had to hook it up to the laundry because I couldn't find the proper part to hook it up in the kitchen faucet (remodeled 4 years ago, so the faucet is not too old). I tried several of the large hardware stores with no luck.

To empty the hose I just open the venturi to make it suck up the water and then roll it with my arm higher than the tap. It doesn't get 100% dry, but don't forget that at that point -after filling the tank- the water in the hose is clean tap water. The chance ro get micro bugs grow in it is not high.

Bhunsucker said:
Also are there any issues with the suction power on the 50' hose. I would like to get a python but I would have to have the 50' hose and I'm concerned that there would not be enough suction power to clean my gravel. Can anyone with a 50' python comment on this please?

Thanks

I have a 75' and it does just fine......

Bhunsucker said:
Also are there any issues with the suction power on the 50' hose. I would like to get a python but I would have to have the 50' hose and I'm concerned that there would not be enough suction power to clean my gravel. Can anyone with a 50' python comment on this please?

Thanks
It should depend on the height diffrence between sink and tank. Once venturi gets siphon started, it should have slightly more suction than a siphon at that distance.

I for example am thinking of running line to basement, and should have a ton of suction. If the sink was level with the tank, only the venturi provided suction would help.

I actually think the height of the tank in relation to the sink, or the length of the hose should be of very little concern. I drain my tanks closer to floor level as quickly as those well above sink height. The suction is created by water pressure, not gravity. By increasing or decreasing the flow from the faucet, you will increase or decrease the rate at which you will drain.

$50 says that the Python hose has anti-fungal compunds in it...

I've been running a DIY "Python" for about a decade. I made it out of colorless, transparent vinyl tubing similar to what the actual Python uses, but in a thinner wall. It has a pretty good coating of black mold on the inner wall. I"ve got fish that have been breathing the water that goes through it for the last 8 years...they don't seem to mind. Coloration/activity is good and they spawn about three times a year... Anyway, I doubt Python would want their transparent tubing to develop a coat of black mold like my knock-off has...wouldn't be too good for repeat business or referrals...

Would you drink the water from the indigenous streams/lakes/rivers these fish are cought in or evolved from? I know I wouldn't...microorganisms, heavy metals, industrial waste, agricultural run-off... The time that the water is in contact with the hose is so minimal that anything leeching out of it would be unmeasurable. Even if it did, wouldn't an anti-fungal actually be welcome in many cases? It's not like we're adding copper or mercury to the tank.

Speaking of which...
You did know that Brass contains a small amount of copper and all our fixtures are brass...and most of our supply lines are copper...

You guys worry too much about this stuff.

You should worry more about what your municipality is ADDING to the water...or what their NOT removing. Send a tap water sample out for lab testing. You might be shocked.

Don't mean to preach, sorry.

It's a free country. Do as you see fit.

A 50' hose is not a problem suction-wise. then again, I opt to NOT use it for gravel-vaccuming. i don't want mulm and what not to build up and clog the hose.

Nor do I think it is a problem chemical-leaching wise. Chemicals will leach into the water if it sits, with water in it, at high temps (aka under the sun). I store mine dry, and in a cool place. Also, even if there were chemicals the first action taken with the python is to drain a tank, thereby flushing them out!

dskidmore, are you sure there aren't any other faucets, say in the bathroom tub, to utilize? Or they are off limits . . . heheh. . .

I own my own 1900 era house. Nothing's off limits unless the city code inspector get wind of it. There are three sources of water in the house, the kitchen sink (husband doesn't think he could get the areator off, but closest to tank) laundry tub (standard hose fitting, directly below tank, hole in floor would be required) and upstairs bathroom (long distance from tank, going to opposite side of house then up stairs, then down hall.)

My house was built in 1920 and I'm using the kitchen sink. Granted it took time, and a pair of channel locks, but I got the aerator off. And you wouldn't believe how much crap was built up behind the screen, lol. Looked like a ton of rust, lol. Couldn't believe I even had any pressure with that much stuff in there. It's all nice and clean now, and the python brass fitting works perfect. :mrgreen:

Ok, I'll have to try giving the husband a pep talk. My own wrists can't handle peanut butter jars nowadays. The sink is considerably newer than the house, and I've been wanting him to take apart the sprayer part for cleaning forever. (Don't get any pressure through it, too clogged up.)

I have one and will never, ever be without one. The running water from the spigot through the faucet attachment provides the suction which pulls water from the aquarium. You leave the water running while you siphon out from the tank. I cheat in two ways. First I fill the hose from the sink until I have it nearly full. Then keeping both ends level and plugged with my fingers I walk them over to the tank which is 20 ft away. I lower the vacuum end into the tank. I have a suction backed clamp attached to the glass on the outside of the tank that holds the hose and keeps the vacuum end from flipping out. Then I take the other end of the hose that would be attached to the faucet adapter and stretch it out side through to the patio door. the water drains outside and i dont have to run the water for suction. I save some of the water in buckets to water plants in the garden. If the weather is really bad and I dont want to be outside than I use the faucet adapter to siphon. For the fill the only tricky part is adjusting the water temperature. I get it set before adding any water. Then I just walk away while it fills, checking the temp a couple of times to make sure it is ok. The suction cup clamp makes it a hands free affair. I use this time to put away all the stuff used to clean the aquarium. You will love it!

Is Ohio that water poor? Doesn't it border a great lake? Of course, freshwater fish water is great for plants, but why so careful with not wasting tap?

Is the waste end of the phtyon adapter threaded? In the summer I could stand to water my plants with the waste water, enriched with fishy goodness.

No. The waste end of the Python is not threaded. It's a bell shape. You could probebly modify it to work that way, though. Would have to be careful not to increase backpressure much, though, or you will lose suction.

CGGorman said:
No. The waste end of the Python is not threaded. It's a bell shape. You could probebly modify it to work that way, though. Would have to be careful not to increase backpressure much, though, or you will lose suction.
Drop of around 6 feet from sink, 7 from tank, so as long as I don't do anything silly with a sprayer attachement on the end, should be adding suction if anything. Will only need to run water to get python going as Mary does, without the unhooking and rehooking.

Actually the water is pretty good and not terribly expensive. My last bill was $197 for a quarter. But it does have a lot of chlorine and in the winter the nitrate goes up from fertilizer runoff. The tap water tests at about 10ppm in the winter. Chlorine water is not quite as good as fish poop water for plants. I put the container plants on the patio and just water away. Besides the aquarium I have an outdoor irrigation system, 380 gal gold fish pond with waterfall and a 2000 gal koi pond with water fall. I could use a direct line from Lake Erie! Also because the drain is a lot lower when it is on the patio the tank drains quickly. The hose is a fifty footer because it has to go around a some furniture and counter. When I fill the tank I hook the python to a Systems IV inline water filter. It removes chlorine and nitrates both, so I dont need a dechlorinator. I use one to fill the ponds too. They last about 12 months of regular use. I am lucky that the faucet, python adapter and inline filter threads are all compatible. I have a cheap husband and saving helps keep the
peace. :)

I am a fool.

I speced out all the parts at http://www.acehardwareoutlet.com/ for a 50' DIY Python for around $30, but put off purchace because I wasn't sure I wanted to spend the money.

I suddenly decided that I had to have one ASAP, and paid $70 for one at my LFS.

It is very nice, and I did have the money, but I should have just spent it sooner and had $40 for something else.

My first usage was for an emergency QT water change. (Third of day, had in hurry put goldfish in QT with fish that hadn't been eating and thriving blackworm culture, later there were no blackworms, a very fat goldfish, and lots of fish poop.) Will give it a full workout this weekend when I clean the 75 gallon.

The drain in my sink is somewhat troublesome, can't handle the output of the python, have to have a spotter in the kitchen let me know when to stop and let the water go down. Husband would rather do that then haul buckets though.

Back
Top Bottom