Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-13-2006, 02:20 AM   #31
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via ICQ to Codefox Send a message via AIM to Codefox Send a message via MSN to Codefox Send a message via Yahoo to Codefox
You take all the laziness out of it and make it work again

Old 01-13-2006, 10:17 AM   #32
Aquarium Advice Addict

Is Ohio that water poor? Doesn't it border a great lake? Of course, freshwater fish water is great for plants, but why so careful with not wasting tap?

Is the waste end of the phtyon adapter threaded? In the summer I could stand to water my plants with the waste water, enriched with fishy goodness.

dskidmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2006, 12:16 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice Activist

No. The waste end of the Python is not threaded. It's a bell shape. You could probebly modify it to work that way, though. Would have to be careful not to increase backpressure much, though, or you will lose suction.
Old 01-13-2006, 12:38 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGGorman
No. The waste end of the Python is not threaded. It's a bell shape. You could probebly modify it to work that way, though. Would have to be careful not to increase backpressure much, though, or you will lose suction.
Drop of around 6 feet from sink, 7 from tank, so as long as I don't do anything silly with a sprayer attachement on the end, should be adding suction if anything. Will only need to run water to get python going as Mary does, without the unhooking and rehooking.
Old 01-13-2006, 04:04 PM   #35
Aquarium Advice Newbie

Actually the water is pretty good and not terribly expensive. My last bill was $197 for a quarter. But it does have a lot of chlorine and in the winter the nitrate goes up from fertilizer runoff. The tap water tests at about 10ppm in the winter. Chlorine water is not quite as good as fish poop water for plants. I put the container plants on the patio and just water away. Besides the aquarium I have an outdoor irrigation system, 380 gal gold fish pond with waterfall and a 2000 gal koi pond with water fall. I could use a direct line from Lake Erie! Also because the drain is a lot lower when it is on the patio the tank drains quickly. The hose is a fifty footer because it has to go around a some furniture and counter. When I fill the tank I hook the python to a Systems IV inline water filter. It removes chlorine and nitrates both, so I dont need a dechlorinator. I use one to fill the ponds too. They last about 12 months of regular use. I am lucky that the faucet, python adapter and inline filter threads are all compatible. I have a cheap husband and saving helps keep the
peace.
Old 01-18-2006, 10:00 AM   #36
Aquarium Advice Addict

I am a fool.

I speced out all the parts at http://www.acehardwareoutlet.com/ for a 50' DIY Python for around $30, but put off purchace because I wasn't sure I wanted to spend the money.

I suddenly decided that I had to have one ASAP, and paid $70 for one at my LFS.

It is very nice, and I did have the money, but I should have just spent it sooner and had $40 for something else.

My first usage was for an emergency QT water change. (Third of day, had in hurry put goldfish in QT with fish that hadn't been eating and thriving blackworm culture, later there were no blackworms, a very fat goldfish, and lots of fish poop.) Will give it a full workout this weekend when I clean the 75 gallon.

The drain in my sink is somewhat troublesome, can't handle the output of the python, have to have a spotter in the kitchen let me know when to stop and let the water go down. Husband would rather do that then haul buckets though.

Tags
clean, cleaner, python

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com