Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-08-2014, 08:52 PM   #91
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Go to the seafood counter and tell them you want a 2" piece of fish. They will cut you whatever you want. They get paid by the hour and do not care.

Old 05-11-2014, 05:53 PM   #92
Aquarium Advice Freak

So I've thought about the ATO. I got thinking as a cheap thing to start me off (I'll try it out and see how it goes), is use one of my smaller pumps set on a timer. Depending on how much Evap I have will decide what I set the timer for (1,2, or 3 15 minute intervals through out a 24 period). I would have a tub beside my tank (hopefully my grandpa can build me a cabinet so it doesn't look too ugly in the living room), with the pump inside it and flexi hose from the pump to the sump. I know it isn't perfect or fool proof, but my sump will be able to hold the bit extra if enough didn't evaporate.

Old 05-11-2014, 08:13 PM   #93
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmann View Post
Gravity feed ato. Cheap and easy

dino
This suggestion would be my choice over a timed pump. Your evap is going to fluctuate at different times of the year. You can simply position a container of water above the sump and buy a float switch to operate it.
Here are assorted float switches....
Bulk Reef Supply - Search Results for float switch
Old 05-11-2014, 08:18 PM   #94
Aquarium Advice Freak

But the way my sump and stand are there is absolutely no room for a container to hang above it. I'm going to talk to my step dad. He has a dug out that he pumps water from to his troughs when they get empty. And it's all automatic. So hopefully he can help me on a smaller scale.

Unless I could put it above and off to the side (on a shelf beside the stand and tank)
Old 05-11-2014, 09:27 PM   #95
Aquarium Advice Freak

Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1399854458868.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	236940

dino
Old 05-11-2014, 09:28 PM   #96
Aquarium Advice Addict

Yes, you can put it on the side. You can encase it in an ottoman or end table or something if need be.
Old 05-11-2014, 09:30 PM   #97
Aquarium Advice Freak

I just ordered this. You run the line into it and set it at the level you want in your sump. As long as its higher than the sump you can hang it In the garage from the cieling if you want. Just make sure you keep it clean so to not clog with salt creep.

dino
Old 05-11-2014, 09:34 PM   #98
Aquarium Advice Freak

You can also order a float switch off ebay and splice it into an extension cord that a small pump is plugged into. Set the float valve at your level in sump with the pump in the ato container. And hose run to the sump. When the float drops it will kick the pump on filling the sump until the float pick up and shuts the pump off. No timers

dino
Old 05-11-2014, 09:35 PM   #99
Aquarium Advice Addict

But if the container is above the tank, what will stop it from draining completely? A siphon will be created.
Old 05-11-2014, 11:00 PM   #100
Aquarium Advice Freak

So basically;

I put the balloon thing in my sump, and set it to a level, if it drops below that it will open up and let water in from the other container.

So I have to run tubing from the container, to the valve, and the water travels through the valve into the sump? How do I secure it to the sump?

I'm sorry if I sound dumb, but just like the sump thing I just don't understand until it's all dumbed down :p

Tags
flow, overflow

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com