Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 05-11-2014, 11:13 PM   #101
Aquarium Advice Freak

mr. X if you use the float switch method. The contair could go on the ground. And dont put the end in the water.

Chevy. There is a bulkhead fitting on the float valve. Drill a small hole in the sump where you want your water level. Install the float valve with the float inside the sump.
The lock line (water line/tube) (used in ice makers and water makers.) Inserts in the end of the float switch ( outside the sump)

The lock line is then run to a container thats just above the height of the float valve.

As your water evaperates, the float will drop. When the float drops it opens the water line slowly filling the sump. When the water rises the float goes up and closes the water line.

dino

Old 05-11-2014, 11:15 PM   #102
Aquarium Advice Freak

So basically the float just opens the tube when it falls, and closes it again when it goes up? Seems simple enough. How risky is drilling the sump...?

Old 05-11-2014, 11:32 PM   #103
Aquarium Advice Freak

Drilling is easy. Just go soft and easy. If you dont want to drill the sump. You can make a bracket to hang on the side of the sump to hold the float valve.im gonna make one using magnets and acrylic to hold it in place.

dino
Old 05-12-2014, 05:23 PM   #104
Aquarium Advice Freak

Would normal blue coloured LED's be able to be used as a moonlight? I haven't priced out actual moonlights yet, but the one LFS that sells sw equipment is crazy expensive... I was thinking I could just add some blue led strip lights, sort of what people put in there cars...
Old 05-12-2014, 06:37 PM   #105
Aquarium Advice Freak

These will work

dino
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1399930649787.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	237035  
Old 05-12-2014, 07:58 PM   #106
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
You don't need moonlights.
Old 05-12-2014, 08:00 PM   #107
Aquarium Advice Freak

I know I don't need them. But I have T5's right now. And there waaaay to bright to have on at night in such a small living room. So I was mostly going to use them so we can still see the tank at night without burning our retinas :p
Old 05-12-2014, 08:05 PM   #108
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Oh...then moonlights won't allow you to see much of anything. You need something that simulates dusk...That strip that Dmann posted should work for this purpose. Anything really...
Aquarium 440 Actinic Blue Moon Light LED Strip 100 Lumens ft Salt Water Reef | eBay
Old 05-12-2014, 08:08 PM   #109
Aquarium Advice Freak

Okay. I was hoping I could find blue fluorescent lights and just hang another fixture. But that doesn't seem easy either. I'm still a little scared of buying online, so I'm hoping I can find something similar in a store. Homedepot has white led strips like that. So I want to see if they have blue. Or I might just have to go with white. I just really like the blue at night, it seems more calming.
Old 05-12-2014, 08:10 PM   #110
Aquarium Advice Freak

Do you think ones from a pool store would work (I've seen them online, so I'm just hoping a pool store will have them)? At least there water proof. I've only had water in my tank for a week and I've electrocuted myself twice :p

Tags
flow, overflow

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com