Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 06-03-2014, 10:47 PM   #141
Aquarium Advice Freak

The only solution to the problem seems to be that the high nitrates were never there in the first place and it was just a bad test. Nitrates do not disappear without major water changes or possibly a very heavily planted tank.

Old 06-03-2014, 10:53 PM   #142
Aquarium Advice Freak

But I tested for over a week with high nitrates... I just don't understand how it would mess up for a week straight and then multiple tests say it's low.

Old 06-04-2014, 01:35 PM   #143
Aquarium Advice Freak

Since I know there's been some people who have been following this from the very beginning I have an update!

I got my first fish in my tank, it's a yellow eyed kole tang. I know he shouldn't of been my first fish in the tank, but he was dirt cheap (the new girl at the LFS did a water change and didn't add salt to the water! The salinity was 1.010! He was the last fish they had left so he asked if I wanted him for almost free), and I thought if one was going to die I'd rather not spend $70 on it. Anyways, I drip assimilated him for 4 hours, and then floated the bag for about a half hour so the temperature was good (I took a pail of tank water to drip from. Not the actual tank) he's doing awsome! He eats like a pig (I'm sure if I fed him every hour he'd eat it!), he's a little shy, but you can tell he's also curious, even if he's hiding in his home and you go sit by the tank he'll pop his head out to watch you. He doesn't seem stressed at all about the salinity jump, or the move! When he was sitting in the bag he looked pale and just not so good. But as soon as he was out of the bag he swam everywhere. There's kiss marks everywhere! (:
Old 06-04-2014, 07:33 PM   #144
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via MSN to mr_X
Don't feed him too much early on. Let the bacteria colony increase to handle the food slowly.
Old 06-24-2014, 01:03 PM   #145
Aquarium Advice Freak

Just a quick update, and a question!

My fish are doing awsome! My tang is so weird and odd, I absolutely love him, I also has a royal gramma who's doing awesome. Every once in awhile he likes to scare me and disappear, but most times he's at the food before the tang! I feed them flakes once a day (morning) and then every 3 days or so they get flakes and mysis shrimp at night, I don't think I'm over feeding because the two of them eat everything. I also have yellow polyps and dragon eyes zoas (dragons eyes still haven't opened ) when the fish get mysis, I spot feed my yellow polyps and the fish take the left overs.

Now questions; it's been a week and my Dragons eyes haven't opened, my yellow polyps are doing great though! Is it still just a waiting game?

I don't think my skimmer is set right, it doesn't get much skim mate and the skim mate is almost clear, but it does really really stink. Any suggestions? Or is it because I have such a small bio load in a big tank?
Old 06-24-2014, 01:15 PM   #146
Aquarium Advice Freak

Oh. And I always have seaweed clipped in the tank. It gets replaced everyday (if there's any left...). But they always had access to it.
Old 06-24-2014, 08:46 PM   #147
Aquarium Advice Addict

I get skimmate from a tank with just live rock and no fish. I think you need to adjust it down some. That said, just because fish eat all of the food, doesn't mean you aren't overfeeding them.
Old 06-24-2014, 08:49 PM   #148
Aquarium Advice Freak

Okay. It has 2 things to adjust... I'm just not sure what I'm doing. I haven't emptied it in a week and it has very little (maybe an inch) or almost clear skim mate. I just don't understand how to get it to work. I keep playing with it but haven't found out what works yet.
Old 06-25-2014, 08:02 PM   #149
Aquarium Advice Addict

What skimmer is this? Maybe it's a quality problem and not an adjustment.
Old 06-26-2014, 02:35 PM   #150
Aquarium Advice Freak

It's a SWC come skimmer Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1403804019.132172.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	218.9 KB
ID:	241469

This is what the skimmate looks like, it takes about double this amount in 7 days... But looking at other people's skimmate there's isn't so grey.. It's more brown and different looking...

40 gallon cichlid tank;
Pseudotropheus socolofi (albino) x 1
Labidochromis caeruleus
Metriaclima greshakei x 2
Amatitlania nigrofasciata x 20
Pseudotropheus crabro x 1
6" pleco x 1

Tags
flow, overflow

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com