How flat is flat for a tank stand?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
you know, if it were me, I'd check with my local fish store and see what they say. My tank is glass. I don't really know about acrylic.
Good luck with it.

That 1/16 inch is very minor and should not bother/harm/hurt your tank. You could still get a piece of 3/4 plywood cut to size at Lowe's to set under the tank if yer really worried about it!

That 1/16 inch is very minor and should not bother/harm/hurt your tank. You could still get a piece of 3/4 plywood cut to size at Lowe's to set under the tank if yer really worried about it!

They do that? I am worried. All I need is 50 gallons of water all over the house to really tick off the "you are going to give up on it in a week" wife.

They do that? I am worried. All I need is 50 gallons of water all over the house to really tick off the "you are going to give up on it in a week" wife.

Hang in there... if you can make it a project for the both of you and let her choose fish too, then maybe she'll come to be more supportive!

Once you put weight onto the stand you may not see that 1/16 difference anymore, because the wood will settle a bit. You said it is in the middle? Can you sand it down any? IMO you shouldn't have a problem if the stand is built to hold a fish tank.

Edit: Just looked at the other thread. I wouldn't put a 50g tank on that unless it was built up on the inside to handle that stress. Most dressers I've seen can't deal with the weight you are going to be putting on it.

Last edited:
I'd like to see the inside of the stand. It doesn't look like the cheap particle board crap they make these days. It looks like a real sturdy piece of 25-40 year old furniture. If you're worried about the top, and as long as the internal support is there, I think a piece of plyboard on top and you're set. Most hardware stores that sell wood will be happy to cut it to the size you need.

If you're worried about whether it can support the tank, I'd try loading 2 or 3 times the weight of your filled tank on the stand as a stress test. I think you said 350lbs? Get 4 friends to stand on it with you, or put it outside with a 100 gallon container on it and fill it with water.

On first glance I'd say that stand should work.

Back
Top Bottom