Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-10-2006, 10:07 AM   #11
Aquarium Advice Activist

I've also got the 300W Hydor ETH in-line heater. The lines on both the Xp3 and Fluval 304/404 are 5/8" ID... It uses compression fittings, but the tubing on the Xp3 is pretty thick wall. The nuts on the Hydor may not allow the tubing through...I haven't tried it. This heater is running on my Fluval. If the nuts are too small, you could remove them or switch to thinner tubing for the Xp3.

The heater performs exquisitely. Temps are right on all the time and no stratification or in-tank clutter.

Old 01-10-2006, 12:06 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to Lonewolfblue Send a message via Yahoo to Lonewolfblue
The XP3 you can do the 200W and 300W, they use the same size fitting. It's 5/8" (16mm). I noticed the 200W also has a 1/2" model as well, which is too small.

Old 01-10-2006, 06:13 PM   #13
kaz
Aquarium Advice Addict

ok I have no idea what you guys are talking about with the heater etc since I am a noob at this can you guys visualize it so I have knowledge and might be interested in doing it for my 60g?
6 Rummy Nose, 9 Ottos, 2 Yoyo Loach, 1 Golden Nugget Pleco, 2 Julli's Cory, 4 Angelicus Botia, 1 Chocolate Kuhli Loach, 3 Ghost Shrimp, 1 SAE, 1 Black Mollie, 1 Redeye Swordtail Mollie, 1 C-Pleco, MTS, Guppy's
Plants
Argentine Sword, Amazon Sword, Micro Sword, Xmas Moss, Pennywort, Hornwort, Jave Fern, Baby Tears, Moneywort, Ludwigia, Wisteria, Giant Bacoba, Hygro 'Sunset'
kaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 08:03 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Here is the Hydor ETH heater:

http://www.bigalsonline.com/catalog/...;pcid1=;pcid2=

By the way, great review!

Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of Liberty -JFK
fishyrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2006, 11:28 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Addict

Basically, you find where you want to install it on the output hose from the filter, cut it there and place the filter inline with the output, so the output goes from the filter, through the first hose, through the heater, then through the second hose to the output in the tank.
Old 01-10-2006, 11:28 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

It will be hidden behind your tank, and not in the tank.
Old 01-14-2006, 08:05 PM   #17
Aquarium Advice Activist

I just bought two Hydor 300 watt heaters and two Filstar XP3 filters for a 125 gallon tank, which is on order and suppose to be in next week. I have a question regarding the Hydor heater, compression fitting and assembly. The instructions were not very clear, so please excuse my ingorance here. Insert the tubing over the heater up to the compression fitting threads and I'm assuming you back the compression fitting down over the tubing to compress the tubing against the heater's fitting? Is that correct? I have used compression fittings on copper pipes, but plumbing has ring to compress down on the pipe, where as the Hydor does not. I know this is a rather stupid question, but it was not clear in my instructions. Thanks and again sorry about my ignorance.
Old 01-14-2006, 08:53 PM   #18
Aquarium Advice Activist

You're Correct, Rupret. The "ring" you spoke is a ferrule and is substituted by the barbs on the male portion of the Hydor compression fittings. Many canister filters use the same fittings.
Old 01-14-2006, 11:30 PM   #19
AA Team Emeritus

I have had an XP3 for 3-4 years (I forget!) and I think it is a wonderful filter. I need to put it to the 8-10 year test before I really tell you what I think, lol!

For that, Eheim gets my vote, though I am talking about the "Classic" series and those are a minor pain to maintain. When you are in the hobby for a good while, filter longevity really starts to matter more.
TankGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2006, 11:38 PM   #20
Aquarium Advice Activist

Thanks CGGorman! It makes sense, but wasn't sure after reading the instructions.

Tags
long, rena, xp3

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com