Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-29-2006, 05:11 AM   #21
kaz
Aquarium Advice Addict

so what is the update for the xp3?

6 Rummy Nose, 9 Ottos, 2 Yoyo Loach, 1 Golden Nugget Pleco, 2 Julli's Cory, 4 Angelicus Botia, 1 Chocolate Kuhli Loach, 3 Ghost Shrimp, 1 SAE, 1 Black Mollie, 1 Redeye Swordtail Mollie, 1 C-Pleco, MTS, Guppy's
Plants
Argentine Sword, Amazon Sword, Micro Sword, Xmas Moss, Pennywort, Hornwort, Jave Fern, Baby Tears, Moneywort, Ludwigia, Wisteria, Giant Bacoba, Hygro 'Sunset'
kaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 06:01 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonewolfblue
Maintenance is easy too. Even though it didn't need it, I did a maintenance on it just to try it, and took me less than 5 minutes. And that includes rinsing the sponges out in old tank water, and rinsing out the cannister unit, and putting it back together, priming, and plugging in. I'm really happy with my choice.
Unfortunatly you missed the biggest pain when it comes to canister maintenance (and why I won't buy one again) - cleaning the tubes. I had a 404 and after a few months the flow rate was way down, even though the filter itself was clean. I had to unhook all the tubes, drain them without spilling (nearly impossible), and hook them all back up after cleaning - the whole process was a huge pain. Shortly after my 404 was up on Ebay and I was back to my good old Whisper 60 which is basically maintenence free except for slapping in a couple $.50 cartridges every few weeks.
Old 01-29-2006, 02:05 PM   #23
Aquarium Advice Freak

Quote:
It will be hidden behind your tank, and not in the tank.
I just reordered one(bought the wrong tube size) and need to know if I can put it in my tank stand or if it has to be between the wall and tank.
Does anyone have one in their tank stand? Thank you
Old 01-29-2006, 02:12 PM   #24
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to Lonewolfblue Send a message via Yahoo to Lonewolfblue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Starks
Quote:
Maintenance is easy too. Even though it didn't need it, I did a maintenance on it just to try it, and took me less than 5 minutes. And that includes rinsing the sponges out in old tank water, and rinsing out the cannister unit, and putting it back together, priming, and plugging in. I'm really happy with my choice.
Unfortunatly you missed the biggest pain when it comes to canister maintenance (and why I won't buy one again) - cleaning the tubes. I had a 404 and after a few months the flow rate was way down, even though the filter itself was clean. I had to unhook all the tubes, drain them without spilling (nearly impossible), and hook them all back up after cleaning - the whole process was a huge pain. Shortly after my 404 was up on Ebay and I was back to my good old Whisper 60 which is basically maintenence free except for slapping in a couple $.50 cartridges every few weeks.
Well, it's been running since Christmas, and all's great. Looking at the tubing, being fairly cleat, nothing is building up in them. There's just a couple spots here and there, where it looks like algae growing on the surface, but that's all. 1 months and as clear as a bell. And great flow.
Old 01-29-2006, 02:17 PM   #25
Aquarium Advice Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rondory
Quote:
It will be hidden behind your tank, and not in the tank.
I just reordered one(bought the wrong tube size) and need to know if I can put it in my tank stand or if it has to be between the wall and tank.
Does anyone have one in their tank stand? Thank you
From what I heard, they should be in a verticle position so there's less build-up. I just ordered a 300W myself, so when I transfer my XP3 to the 75G, will add that as well.
Old 01-29-2006, 09:52 PM   #26
kaz
Aquarium Advice Addict

300w you mean a uv filter?
6 Rummy Nose, 9 Ottos, 2 Yoyo Loach, 1 Golden Nugget Pleco, 2 Julli's Cory, 4 Angelicus Botia, 1 Chocolate Kuhli Loach, 3 Ghost Shrimp, 1 SAE, 1 Black Mollie, 1 Redeye Swordtail Mollie, 1 C-Pleco, MTS, Guppy's
Plants
Argentine Sword, Amazon Sword, Micro Sword, Xmas Moss, Pennywort, Hornwort, Jave Fern, Baby Tears, Moneywort, Ludwigia, Wisteria, Giant Bacoba, Hygro 'Sunset'
Old 01-29-2006, 10:59 PM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaz
300w you mean a uv filter?
I hope not, a 300W UV would be serious overkill, I've never seen one that powerful.
Old 01-29-2006, 11:05 PM   #28
kaz
Aquarium Advice Addict

yeah thats right its probably the heater.
Plants
Old 01-30-2006, 12:17 AM   #29
Aquarium Advice Addict

The heater.
Old 01-30-2006, 12:28 PM   #30
Aquarium Advice Activist

I've been running cannister filters for about 15 years and have never experienced a reduced flow from restricted or clogged tubing.

Tags
long, rena, xp3

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com