Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 01-30-2006, 07:28 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGGorman
I've been running cannister filters for about 15 years and have never experienced a reduced flow from restricted or clogged tubing.
wow, thats hard to believe. do you mean you clean out the tubes really often so it doesn't happen or that you have a 15 year old filter that is sparkly clean?
Old 01-30-2006, 10:59 PM   #32
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via ICQ to Lonewolfblue Send a message via Yahoo to Lonewolfblue
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Starks
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGGorman
I've been running cannister filters for about 15 years and have never experienced a reduced flow from restricted or clogged tubing.
wow, thats hard to believe. do you mean you clean out the tubes really often so it doesn't happen or that you have a 15 year old filter that is sparkly clean?
A friend of mine here has been running a cannister for over 5 years now, and he has no flow problems and no clogging problems, and never cleans the hoses. After a month of running my XP3, I only have a couple spots where there's algae, but other than that, it's as clear as a bell.

Old 03-07-2006, 09:45 PM   #33
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to Andos99
I'm reviving this thread because I just bought an XP3 and I have a few questions. What do you guys use for the biological portion? I'm not sure if it matters, but your opinions are welcome. Also.....which out-take did you guys go with? The Power jet nozzle or the spray bar? I'm going to set this filter up on my 50 gal to begin the seeding process for my 180 gal that I have in storage (I'm going to buy a second XP3 once a move and set it up). Thanks everyone!
Old 03-07-2006, 10:43 PM   #34
Aquarium Advice Addict

In the bottom tray, I have the 2 coarse and the 2 medium sponges. In the middle tray I have lava granules and the star media, and in the top tray I have ceramic cylinders, then floss, then the micro filter on top of the floss. As for the output, I use the spraybar.
Old 03-08-2006, 02:17 AM   #35
Aquarium Advice FINatic

PHEW! Finally got the bad boy rolling. I had the intake hose too long and I couldn't get it to prime...... Once we got that figured out it was smooth sailing. I turned the flow to about half way since it's only a 50 gal....I hope that's cool. I'll let everyone know how it works out.
Old 03-08-2006, 02:22 AM   #36
Aquarium Advice Addict

I had mine cranked to full speed when it was on my 55G. If using the spraybar, you'll have no problem. Just have the spraybar spray straight across the top of the tank, about an inch or so below the surface, which is where the plastic tubing that goes over the top of the tank is sitting on the tank edge. I had both the XP3 and the Emperor 400 going full blast, and the current was fine for my 55G. Now that the XP3 is on my 75G, the other end of my 55G seems dead, lol. No movement. Will be adding my small powerhead soon.
Old 03-08-2006, 02:42 AM   #37
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Thx Lonewolf! I turned it up all the way and the current seems fine. I really like the spray bar feature.....keeps the surface nicely agitated. If we still had kudos, I'd give you some
Old 03-08-2006, 03:14 AM   #38
Aquarium Advice Addict

Not a problem.....

Now if using the power jet, might be another story, lol. I like the spraybar myself. The current it makes is just right to keep the tank circulating, and not overly strong, as it spreads the current over the length of the spraybar.
Old 03-10-2006, 01:34 AM   #39
Aquarium Advice FINatic

All I have to say is wow!! It's been a few days now and it is like looking at my tank with high definition. I never imagined my water could be any clearer, but I was wrong. I guess my old HOB's were no match!
Old 03-10-2006, 02:16 AM   #40
Aquarium Advice Addict

Also depends on what's in the HOB. My Emperor 280 on my 26G does a great job, wouldn't replace it at all. Water is so clear. Could be the plants too.

As for my 55G now, it's not so nice, lol. It's just got the Emperor 400 on one end and nothing on the other. It's pretty clear on the side of the Emperor, but on the other side, particles floating around. Kind of makes me want to get another filter, lol.

Tags
long, rena, xp3

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com