How long do ballasts last?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

leafyseadragon

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have gone through three powercompact fixtures in about 6 years. Things are just fine until one morning I wake up and the light's off, and there is a burnt smell in the room. I assume that means the ballast burned out.

The 48" bulbs in my kitchen are still going strong after 6 years. Do they use different ballasts, or is because they are not on 12 hours a day?

But more to the point: how long are electronic ballasts supposed to last?

I don't know about pc ballasts, but I have a magnetic metal halide ballast I've been using for 8 hrs/day for close to 20 years. I also have an Advanced electronic normal output fluorescent ballast that's been in use for over 10 years.

Ever have any problems with power surges? Not sure where the ballasts are located but do they have enough ventilation for cooling and is there any water being splashed on them or condensing on them at night?

I have fluorescents all over my house. I have not have a dead ballast yet in over 20 years.

For my tank, I use 2 electronic ballasts off shop lights, they are going strong after 3+ years.

You should check if your ballasts are overheating, esp. if they are enclosed inside the canopy. I wired my ballasts so they are outside the canopy to avoid moisture & heat problems.

Also, might check if corrosion is shorting out the wires at the connectors/ endcaps.

I am using a 30" Current USA Satellite PC light with one 65W bulb. It does not come with a fan. I place it right over the tank, I don't have the legs to prop it up. I took the entire assembly apart, not much going inside. I didn't see any condensation or anything else like that.

So is the distance between the water level and my light probably the source of the problem? If it is, I'll just get some of those legs.

Back
Top Bottom