Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion

Join Aquarium Advice Today
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com
Old 05-13-2009, 08:25 PM   #1
Aquarium Advice Activist
How long does it take to break-in G3?

Like the title says. My G3 fills up with water in seconds. It's brand new and I have the output tube where the instructions(if you want to call them that) say to have it initially. Should I run it with out the collection cup until it slims up? BTW, I'm still cycling the tank. My ammonia is 2.0-4.0 and my nitrite are 1.0. Should I wait until after the tank cycles to run it and tune it?

jcmelski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 08:47 PM   #2
Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have an ASM as well, smaller model though - you can start running it now as it does take a bit of time to break in, my took a little over a week before all the micro bubbles in the tank went away. Also now is an excellent time to learn how to tune/adjust it at the same time. Just move the pipe down a bit so the collection cup does not fill up, you'll want to have the bubbles at the top of the cone but not actually spilling up into the cup, i.e. dry skimming for now as you don't seem to have any fish etc. There are several forums on skimming you should look up. It took me a while to get comfortable with mine as well.

skylark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 09:53 PM   #3
Aquarium Advice Activist
I found the number to the LFS that I bought the skimmer from and the person there told me to not use the skimmer until after the tank cycles. This was before you replied.
jcmelski is offline   Reply With Quote

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com