Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 09-09-2005, 12:36 AM   #1
Aquarium Advice Addict

How Long should a Tank Last?

I currently have a 75gal All Glass Tank that is about 10 years old. I have never done any maintenance with the glass itself other than routine cleaning. All the seams are stained from years of use. but otherwise appear in good shape. How long should a tank like this last without any maintenance before one is flirting with disaster?

unfortunately, my glass is showing its age with scratches and I do plan to purchase a new 75gal to replace it or upgrade to a 120gal. When I do this should I discard the old one? Otherwise it may make a good sump.

Any thoughts appreciated,

Tank: 90 Gal SW Reef in the making

See my info for setup and inhabitant details:
afilter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2005, 12:48 AM   #2
Aquarium Advice Addict

yea sump it.
i have no idea to the limit of glasses age, although i'd recommend redoing the seals every 5-10 years. mostly for looks sake really.

Labidochromis caeruleus
Cynotilapia afra 'Cobue'
Pseudotropheus acei 'Msuli Point'
Aulunocara stuartgranti 'chipoka'
Labidochromis freibergi
Oreochromis mossambicus
Etroplus suratensis
DeFeKt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 03:07 PM   #3
AA Team Emeritus

I have a tank I built almost 40 years ago that is still in use, and one I bought in 1972.
Old 09-26-2005, 04:03 PM   #4
AA Team Emeritus

Send a message via ICQ to fishfreek Send a message via AIM to fishfreek Send a message via MSN to fishfreek Send a message via Yahoo to fishfreek
The biggest thing would be to monitor the wear on the silicon seals. To bad you cant repair the seals with the tank full of water. The scratches as long as they are not deep gouges can also be buffed out when the water has been removed.

I have a tank that 10+ years and its going strong.

Check out our articles area. 30+ Aquatic articles for your enjoyment
Are you in or around the Shenandoah Valley area? If so click here to join our regional forum.
fishfreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 10:18 PM   #5
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well, I replaced the 75g with a 90g with megaflow and built a 30g sump/fuge. All inhabitants are in the new setup and it is going pretty good so far except for the loss of one flame scallop.

fishfreek,

Tell me more about buffing out the glass. At this point the 75g is empty in the garage. What would you use? I thought this could only be done with acrylic. I would not mind using the 75g again in the future. I saw some nice looking juvenial discus a while ago.

TIA,

Old 09-27-2005, 05:18 PM   #6
Aquarium Advice FINatic

Send a message via AIM to DragonForce
The glass on a tank will last quite a few hundred years. Glass actually has viscosity to it. If you ever get a chance to see a very old church or some other building with lots of stained windows you can see that the upper parts of the peices of glass are much thinner and the bottom peices of the glass are real thick. Just a fun fact for those who didn't know. The only problem with aquariums is that the silicone breaks down. It is fairly easy to fix but will require no fish rock etc etc in the tank which is a real bummer.
3' fine sand bed 1x Orange Stripe Prawn shrimp goby, 1x sixline wrassemated pair of true percula clowns, 1x CBS shrimp, 2x peppermint shrimp, 1x pistol shrimp, 1x tiger tale cuke, ~20+ snails, ~10+ hermits, 1xserpent star.
green Bubble coral, hammer coral (8 heads!) ,various Zoos,green finger leather, green star polpys ,shrooms
175w 10k MH
28w actinic 03
2x maxi jett 1200
Prizm skimmer (modded)
Hagen powerfilter(for running carbon 24/7)
nano arctica chiller
DragonForce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2005, 02:28 AM   #7
Aquarium Advice Freak

How many years will it take to break the silicone seals down? I have a good 29 gal that has been empty for over 10 years. Of course I will check it for leaks outside when I decide to refill it. I guess my main thought is what is the life span of any glass-silicone sealed tank?
Old 11-16-2005, 01:18 AM   #8
AA Team Emeritus

As stated above, I have 1 that is fourty years old, that I built myself. For anyone wishing to fill a tank outside to test for leaks, remember, to make sure the tank is ona a flat surface, that is well supported, or you risk having more than a leak to contend with, as the tank could break.
Old 11-19-2005, 03:43 AM   #9
Aquarium Advice Addict

Send a message via AIM to greenmaji
afilter...check this link for more information on polishing the scratches out of glass.. :P
http://www.facetingmachines.com/polishing_glass.shtml

its not an easy job and if the scratches are deep.. it becomes even tougher.. but it can be done.. HTH
Old 11-19-2005, 11:36 AM   #10
Aquarium Advice Addict

Thanks, sounds like my 75g is destined to become a storage container for a future RO unit.

Tags
long, tan

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com