How loud/quiet is the AC 110?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Joey P

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm currently running a Aqueon 55/75 as well as a canister on my tank. A while back my HOB starting getting louder. I've quieted it down a bit, but it's still quite a bit louder then I'd like it to be and this isn't the falling water sound, this is the motor itself and sometimes it's even just the lid rattling. I've noticed that if I unplug it and have just the canister running my tank is virtually silent.
I was planning to replace the Aqueon with an AC 70 today because I've heard such good things about it. I ran around today and couldn't find one locally, but I did pick up an AC 110 which I understand is the only AC HOB filter to use a bigger motor.
My question is, is this filter loud? Is it louder then the Aqueon? Should I just pony up another $50 and get a second canister? I really do like canisters. Dead silent and require almost no maintenance.
I've read plenty of reports that the AC 70 is quiet but not that much about the 110. Also, most of those seem to be in comparison to other HOBs, but what about in comparison to a canister?

cant vouch for the AC110, but i have 2 AC70 on two different tanks and I love them. They give you so flexible on what to have in the filter.

Personally I would do the canister. My AC is not loud just some time it makes noise from the lid.

Personally I would do the canister. My AC is not loud just some time it makes noise from the lid.
That's what I was thinking, my canister is quiet enough that when my Aqueon is off, I'm not even sure the canister is running. OTOH, I do like a second form of filtration. The HOB is more exposed to oxygen (not sure if that's good or bad) and causes more surface agitation. Also, HOBs are just so much easier to pull apart and take a look at from once a week or so, OTOH, my canister has been in use for probably two months and hasn't needed anything done to it at all. I break it down about every other week just to look and then put it all back together. I'm sure running two filters helps with that though.
One of the things I really liked about the Aqueon is the submersed pump. I thought it would be quieter and even more then that, the only way for it to leak is for the sump to crack.
With the AC, the motor is on the outside, but I've not read a single report of it leaking, though a few people have mentioned if they don't keep it clean the pump will push the media basket up and some water will start dripping down the back. That can't happen with the Aqueon, it's designed to overflow back into the tank. I'm not sure why any filter would be set up to overflow anywhere but into the tank.

The AC has the little leg to adjust it. I tilt mine forward never had a problem. The media basket if not seated properly will go up with water. I've had mine for 2 years no problems at all.

How big is your AC? The one I got is the 110. Right now I'm planning to use it to replace a noisy Aquaclear 55/75, but since it's a bigger I'm wondering if it's going to end up being just as loud anyways.

Two 110 and two 70 I get a little hum from my 110
I suppose I could try it out. The Aqueon is LOUD. Like, louder then it should be. I suppose the worst that can happen is that it'll be as loud as the Aqueuon and I can replace it in a few months with a canister if I'm not happy.

Maintenance for canister should be no different than hob filter IMO. Both does the same thing, but different methods.

I had canister and AC 110. I preferred the 110 because maintenance was easier. I did not enjoy taking a canister apart to clean the filter pads compared to the 110. AC is quiet IMO, but you will never know until you experienced it.

When I tried to make the same decision 2 years ago, people recommended canister. After owning both, I know what I like and don't like. If you never try, then you will always wonder.

Just to update this, I returned the 110 and picked up a 70. While it's not silent like my canister, I can hardly hear it. It's a ton quieter then the Aqueon. I am leaving the lid off, it didn't rattle (though I'm sure it would from time to time) but it seemed to echo a bit. The whole tank is so much quieter now. Just a slight hum and that's it.

One thing I'm going to try to do is pull the U-Tube out before I unplug it to see if it holds it's prime. I wasn't watching, but I unplugged it (to do a PWC) and the whole thing was dry when I was done and looked back at it, I assumed the U-Tube siphoned all the water out. If I pull that out, I think I'll be okay.

Back
Top Bottom