How many heaters do you have?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TygGer

Aquarium Advice Freak
Just wondering if you guys are using two heaters or just one large one. My one heater will be enough for my tank, but since it's not set up yet, Im wondering if I should buy another one and have two separate heaters for backup.

You should keep a backup. I use 2 300 watts in my 125 and have a spare just in case. I have blown a heater before and lost some fish due to it, so I am now safe.

You want 2. The risk is not worth it. The added expense is little and you will be ensured to have at least 1 functioning heater.

Also, by having 2 smaller heaters, if one of the heaters "sticks" then it will not be powerful enough to overheat your tank.

Ok, thanks everyone.

A little off topic. Since I'm going to use two heaters, I can place one in the return section in my sump. Can I place the other heater in the fuge section of my sump even though it will be low flow?

In case the sump design matters... my drain is on the left, return is in the middle and the fuge is on the right.

i keep one 75 watt ebo jaeger in my aqua c remora skimmer and one in the main tank. the main tank one will move to a refugium next week. from what i understand, a sump, refugium, filter or anything that holds water just becomes part of your entire volume of water and makes it possible to put most equipment on any part of that volume of water. the short version would be i think you could place your heaters anywhere you want

hope this helps, or if i am wrong someone corrects me
steve r

Since my fuge is very low flow, I was wondering if putting a heater in that section would effectively heat the water of the total system.

I have enough room to place a heater in the return section which is high flow so that should effect the total temperature of the system. Not sure if putting a heater in the fuge would effectively do the same.

thx

I would think that a fuge would not be a good choice. with the lack of flow. I would try to put it where the water turns over more. I had a heater in my QT with just and airstone and foam filter and the tank was a couple degrees cooler on the side opposite the heater. I added a powerhead and now it is stable throughout the tank. HTH

By the way, I have 2 350 watt titaniums in my sump for my 225. They work great.

Back
Top Bottom