how many watts heater for 10G?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blipblop

Aquarium Advice Activist
my current one has no temperature control, just turn it up or down, just want to know what a good size heater is fit for my tank. i live in MA.. and the winters it does get pretty cold up here.. 50W or 100W enough? more or less? thanks!

I think either one should be fine, but I would probably go with the 100 just in case because the price difference should only be a few dollars.

Get the 100w. I live in a Maine, a couple times last winter I had trouble with the heating system in my house and the 50w was really have trouble keeping the tank at temp.

Dunno if this is reliable information (guy could have just been trying to make a sale) but one of our LFS owners told me more watts just means the heater doesn't have to work as hard to keep the tank warm. Made sense to me.

That is correct. That is also why a V6 engine, although more powerful, can get similar gas mileage to a 4 cylinder. The V6 uses more gas to operate, but doesn't have to work as hard to do the same job.

Of course, that doesn't mean I'd put a 300 watt heater in there... :p

I have a 50 watt in my 10 gallon, and it is doing OK, although my basement is very well temperature controlled by the furnace and air conditioning.

Paul

Another good reason to get the 100W vs the 50W (one I hope you never have to use) is in case you have to raise the tank temp to treat for ich. The less powerful heater may not be able to get the job done.

Back
Top Bottom