How much air do bubble walls take?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lectraplayer

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Just put in a bubble wall in my 15 gallon and I put the biggest air pump I have on it, only to have a small trickle of bubbles. While not marked, I calculated that I "should" be getting around 5000 CC/Min of air to it based on the markings on another pump (though that doesn't mean much). Bubble wall is around a foot or so long. About how much air would the average bubble wall require to properly bubble with a nice, thick curtain of bubbles like airstones put out?

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH Fierce using Tapatalk

Just put in a bubble wall in my 15 gallon and I put the biggest air pump I have on it, only to have a small trickle of bubbles. While not marked, I calculated that I "should" be getting around 5000 CC/Min of air to it based on the markings on another pump (though that doesn't mean much). Bubble wall is around a foot or so long. About how much air would the average bubble wall require to properly bubble with a nice, thick curtain of bubbles like airstones put out?

Is it a sand made bubble wall or like a plastic or rubber tube???

It's really like a airstone plate. About 1 inch by 18 inches or so. Used to be popular when I was a kid but I haven't seen this one in stores in years.

It's really like a airstone plate. About 1 inch by 18 inches or so. Used to be popular when I was a kid but I haven't seen this one in stores in years.
You need to soak these for 24hrs before using them. Try leaving it off but in the tank for 24hrs and then try it.

Leaving it in your tank is fine, as long as your pump is higher than the airstone. Otherwise it could siphon water into the pump.
The capacity of pumps are rated at (free flow). Once you hook them to something, and put under water you create back pressure, which reduces the air flow drastically.

I figured my airflow would be off...

Can those airstones still be found? I bet I'm just not looking in the right place.

Leaving it in your tank is fine, as long as your pump is higher than the airstone. Otherwise it could siphon water into the pump.
The capacity of pumps are rated at (free flow). Once you hook them to something, and put under water you create back pressure, which reduces the air flow drastically.
It won't siphon if you use a check valve, which you need to use anyway...

A check valve will further restrict flow. However if your placing the airpump lower than your tank, then one is a very good idea.

Best just to by a good quality pump, over rated for you tank and then you can use check valves and airflow valves if needed. Eheim make one with flow adjustment built in. They are also fairly quiet too.....

Believe it or not, I have always had my pump below the tank and never had it siphon during a power failure. I guess if the pump "fell" and pulled the airstone up to where the water in the line crossed over the lip of the tank, it may siphon then. As it stands now, I haven't seen water go uphill over the lip.

Just a thought...

have you taken the anti siphon out yet? I have a dual air pump in one tank. A water feature on one side, an air wand on the other. I started noticing the air wand looking like it was becoming plugged. Slow but sure almost down to one bubble! Now I get in there tinkering and found that the anti siphon was broke/defective. The pump hooked direct blew bubbles all over. I had not ever heard of such a simple device plugging/failing, but it's true. I had two different anti siphons, one from a pet store, one from the biggest box store. Guess which one failed?? Anyway give it a check!

I think it's such a silly risk to use an airpump without a check valve. Why would you risk it. If you had a small crack/leak in the tank, would you ignore it??. IMO crazy to risk it, for a part that costs a few dollars....
Water and electricity don't mix too well...lol

Back
Top Bottom