Well, my most noble and dirty and wonderful sweetie crawled around through spiders, fiberglass, and lots of small dark places and wired the halides to a new circuit in the garage. He's finishing the last bit (a splice in a box) and then we'll see the light! We ended up rewiring the entire fixture, because when we were messing with it, I thought it smelled funny, and so we took it apart, and WOW!!! Talk about spooky! The wires were soooo burnt that the insulation just fell off of them when I touched it, there were no rubber grommets, bare wires on the moonlight, just generally hashed wiring. So off to the store, all new water resistant wiring and we're ready to see if we did it right.
Only thing more dangerous than a 2nd lieutenant saying "In my experience" is a warrant officer saying "Hey guys, check this out!"