Go Back   Aquarium Advice - Aquarium Forum Community > General Aquarium Forums > General Hardware/Equipment Discussion
Click Here to Login

Join Aquarium Advice Today

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com

Old 02-07-2006, 08:19 PM   #11
Aquarium Advice Freak

Now would this Tee be hard plumbed or soft hose to a hard pvc tee with ball valves and barbed fittings? By hard plumbed I mean pvc pipe.

Old 02-07-2006, 08:57 PM   #12
Aquarium Advice Addict

Depends what you currently have. I use pvc connections and reinforced hoses, but many people prefer to use pvc or cpvc for their plumbing. It is really a matter of personal preferences. Either way, as long as the connections are well done and leak proof, you should be fine.

Vote Here for Aquarium Advice
Serge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2006, 06:58 PM   #13
Aquarium Advice Freak

If you went cpvc, wouldn't you have to worry about possible blockages going unnoticed? (I'm thinking pieces of macro from the refugium) Then again, if you go clear reinforced hose, you get a gaff of algae growth don't you?
Old 02-09-2006, 07:17 PM   #14
Aquarium Advice Addict

Well, I cannot give you any answers for the PVC/CPVC pipes setup, but I would think that weekly/monthly inspections/maintenance would ensure that all of your system's compenents are in top top shape and operating as they should. As for the clear/transparent tubing, mine has been in operation for a little over a year now and I have not seen any indication of algea growth... yet anyway. Maybe someone else, using hard pipes, will chime in on this point.

Cheers!

8)

Old 02-12-2006, 10:32 PM   #15
Aquarium Advice Freak

Well, my most noble and dirty and wonderful sweetie crawled around through spiders, fiberglass, and lots of small dark places and wired the halides to a new circuit in the garage. He's finishing the last bit (a splice in a box) and then we'll see the light! We ended up rewiring the entire fixture, because when we were messing with it, I thought it smelled funny, and so we took it apart, and WOW!!! Talk about spooky! The wires were soooo burnt that the insulation just fell off of them when I touched it, there were no rubber grommets, bare wires on the moonlight, just generally hashed wiring. So off to the store, all new water resistant wiring and we're ready to see if we did it right.
Old 02-13-2006, 09:46 PM   #16
Aquarium Advice Addict

WOW!! 8O 8O That was a close call! Good thing you rewired the fixture.... That could have been a major problem at a later time. Glad to hear that everything went well and is completed. Kudos to your other half for his hard work! Now you will be certain that the halides will not cause a fire or blow the breaker.

Cheers!

8)

Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about them on AquariumAdvice.com