How much flow is to much?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Short-N-Portly

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Some may say get a Fluval 306-406 etc but I'm trying to keep on a budget if possible.

I have a 60g aquarium (same measurements as a 55L just a few inches taller) and plan to stock in with 2 dozen various Rainbows, plecs and corys that are currently in a holding tank.
Anyway after many hours of reading reviews on Amazon and other places etc I have found myself considering the Penn Plax Cascade series but undecided which model to go with.
My choices are between the 1500 or 1200 model, the 1500 has 5 filter trays that I'm really key on but it supposed flow rate is 400gph (w/o media I'm guessing) and wondering if that's a bit much even at a conservative guess of 325-350gph when loaded w/media? That'll be nearly x6 turn over per hr :blink: I'm worried the fish will not have a resting place w/o to much currant.
The 1200 is supposedly pushing 315gph but has only 3 trays for media and again that gph rate will drop when loaded with media which would put it closer to x4 turn over which is of course recommended.
I've read that the manufacturer suggests a 30% valve closure at the max to decrease flow but wouldn't that only increase pressure and really not effect flow rate much?

IDK, maybe I'm just looking for reassurance to go big and get the 1500?:lol:
Any input or advice I'm open to hear especially from happy owners of these canisters.
Thx,
Jeff

I try to get my tanks to 10-20x turnover.

I haven't tested the Penn Plaxes specifically but canisters usually deliver 60-75% percent of real world flow vs. what is rated on the box so I think the estimate of 325-350 is optimistic.

Unless you are keeping a species that is sensitive to water flow more is better.

Every product with out put usually over rated but 60-75% of listed flow does surprise me a bit.
1500 it is but I'm still going to do more review reading on this CF before I pull the trigger, when I have time.

Thx

I'm running an FX4 on a 46 gallon bow front. That's at least 10x turnover. Keeping cichlids and they are doing fine. Water's crystal and numbers are perfect.

Back
Top Bottom