How much is TOO much flow?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bjj_junkie

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi everyone! im in the last stages of getting everything together for my new tank and the next thing im looking to buy are circulation pumps. i would really like to get an mp40 but i dont wanna dish out that much money right now so im looking at the Hydor Koralia Evolution pumps. im thinking about two 1050gph pumps for my 60 gal (48x18x16 tall) would this be too much?... ill have a mixed tank and my return pump is already 950gph. ive already read a few threads about this same question but what makes mine different is that my tank is so shallow. 16" and two will be sand so im looking at about 11-12" of water... another question since its on topic, if i were to get an mp40, i would only need one right? and would it matter where its placed since my return is on the rear right corner?

bjj_junkie said:
Hi everyone! im in the last stages of getting everything together for my new tank and the next thing im looking to buy are circulation pumps. i would really like to get an mp40 but i dont wanna dish out that much money right now so im looking at the Hydor Koralia Evolution pumps. im thinking about two 1050gph pumps for my 60 gal (48x18x16 tall) would this be too much?... ill have a mixed tank and my return pump is already 950gph. ive already read a few threads about this same question but what makes mine different is that my tank is so shallow. 16" and two will be sand so im looking at about 11-12" of water... another question since its on topic, if i were to get an mp40, i would only need one right? and would it matter where its placed since my return is on the rear right corner?

Is this fresh or saltwater?
I think running two of those will be fine if that's what you want to do. If its to much flow you can turn one off or just simply point it up. With the return I always try and put them on opposite sides.

I just had exact same decision to make. Couldn't justify price for mp40, plus looks like you can't angle the head. So I went with Koralia 750 for my new 55gal fw tank. Not installed yet so can't comment on flow.

Some aquarists believe in as much as 40-50x flow rate of their tank per hour, especially with corals. So 60 gallons and 2 1050 koralia's is 35 times turnover, which should be pretty good for ya... In my 55 I have a Koralia 1400, 750, and 450. Sorry I don't know about the MP40's but from what I've seen 1 in a 60 would be plenty!

Back
Top Bottom