How much light do I need for my 45G freshwater tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lohoyan

Aquarium Advice Regular
I've decided I need to upgrade my lighting for my 45G freshwater community tank. I've a few species of plants in there and they are all just kind of existing but not really thriving. Its not a "planted tank" or anything but I do like the jungle look and don't mind if I have to do some pruning back once in a while.

I discovered that the 30 inch, 25 watt, power glo T8 that's in there now only puts out 1160 lumens when new. Thats only 26 lumens per gallon and about half a watt per gallon. That seems really low!!

My 20G tank has a 20 watt life glo T8 that outputs 1470 lumens. That's 73 lumens per gallon and 1 watt per gallon, a much better ratio and the plants in that tank are doing great.

It seems the life-glo bulbs put out far higher lumens per watt than the power-glows, flora, marine or aqua-glo bulbs.

Anyway I'm thinking of getting a new glass canopy and the hagen glo T5 HO double light fixture. If I put 2 34 inch, 39 watt T5 HO bulbs in it at 3000 lumens each that would give me a total of 6000 lumens. That's 133 lumens per gallon. Is that overkill?

How much light do I really need? Maybe I only need the single bulb T5 HO fixture. Or maybe the double fixture with one life-glo and one power-glo for a total 4500 lumens. I don't want an algae problem. But like I said I do like thick plant growth and don't mind doing a little pruning now and then.

Wow, so many numbers to crunch, all I want is a nice looking tank!! Any advice appreciated.

Back
Top Bottom